This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

It is no small task to carve out personal time for yourself each day.

With busy schedules and to-do lists that seem endless, finding time for self-care has always been a challenge for many. Today, one particular factor complicates this task even further: the 24-hour news cycle. The deluge of national and international news is now a constant in our daily lives, and with this flood of current events comes the inevitable result of fatigue. The ease through which we can access information continues to grow at an unprecedented pace, making it nearly impossible to avoid the world’s most pressing issues.

At any given moment, news of the latest harmful remark made by a government official or the knowledge of a natural disaster taking place can reach us in an instant. While there can be great power in this access to information—and while it can certainly be beneficial at times—the fact is not erased that being inundated with disheartening news stories can have an overwhelming effect.

For many of us who seek to stay on top of current events, we don’t often realize that our well-intentioned efforts can actually have a negative impact if we fail to recognize signs of dejection. While educating oneself is incredibly important, attempting to keep up with a relentless news cycle will only lead to burnout and an otherwise unhealthy state of being. Most recently, the testimony of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford alleging sexual assault by Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, reawakened trauma for many survivors of abuse who found themselves surrounded by triggering news coverage. Instances like these, which have become far too common over the past two years, have left many utterly exhausted.

This type of exhaustion can be mental, physical, and/or emotional, leading masses of people to feel like they struggle to “keep up.”  The seeming moral obligation to stay abreast of what is happening in the world often comes at the expense of our personal health, and because of this it is increasingly important to recognize when moments of self-care are most needed. In order to avoid finding ourselves in a rut, learning to create healthy boundaries in a world where news stories abound is more important than ever.

Use the Weekends to Recharge

The pressure to constantly be on-the-go tends to run parallel to the idea that we always have to stay updated on the latest news event. Rather than plan out every moment of your weekend, dedicate at least an afternoon for lounging around or doing something low-stress. Movies or books are a great way to temporarily get your mind off of what’s bothering you in the world, and can sometimes even offer new ideas for how to approach a problem.

Step Away From Social Media

Reducing your news intake is sometimes necessary, especially if that news is triggering or problematic for you personally. Remind yourself that it is OK to not check Twitter or scroll through Instagram before bed. Detaching yourself from the Internet takes practice, but doing so will allow you to be more present and clear-minded.

Meditate

Those yoga classes you’ve taken have an important lesson to offer beyond just a good workout. Thoughtful meditation helps bring the mind back to a place of clarity and focus, and these balanced conditions are essential to overcoming stressful news stories or events. The wonderful thing about meditation is that you can practice it anywhere at any time. Start with five minutes of silent reflection each day, and gradually increase your time as you become good at sitting with your thoughts.

Consider Ways to Channel Your Feelings

Finding outlets to direct your feelings about the news cycle will leave you feeling more empowered than before, especially when that outlet is something that you feel passionately about. Volunteering offers an opportunity to make real, tangible change in your community and that kind of an impact will leave you feeling productive and capable.

If you enjoy being creative consider writing or journaling about an issue, or even crafting some sort of artistic piece to represent what is meaningful to you. Whatever your drive may be, finding healthy and constructive ways to release what you feel inside is a form of communication. Even if you feel like you don’t always have the right words, creative expression can be the first step in helping you move beyond a place of frustration.

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.