Educators Over Professors in College: Why PhD Programs Should Require Education Courses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Have you ever had that one class where you don’t understand anything the professor is teaching, but you think it’s just your own fault? Believe it or not, it could very well be the professor’s fault. Many professors are experts in their fields, which is extremely important because that is exactly who we need to be able to learn the content. However, experts in a field are not always experts in education. 

As I’m sure many Education majors across the country can agree, there is a clear difference between professors in the Education program and the professors from content areas. At The University of Akron, students in The LeBron James Family Foundation College of Education are taught by some of the university’s best professors and are enrolled in programs that put students in the field, practicing in schools within their very first introductory course. 

With such a wonderful program for education, it only makes sense that the students have expert professors, just like every other degree program; however, the main difference in this situation is that education is the expert’s topic. Professors who teach students to teach generally know how to teach. Think about it: an expert in chemistry knows all about elements, chemical reactions, and all things chemistry. What they may not know, however, is how to help others learn what they know instead of simply producing the information. Those studying to teach learn about different techniques and strategies to use with students, studying the different styles of learners encountered in the classroom. They are told to focus on each individual student and alter activities and teaching styles in order to ensure students are comprehending the material. When someone is in school to earn their PhD, however, they are not usually taught this information about teaching. 

This results in entire classes being told the highest exam grade was a D, students going to tutoring and office hours constantly without any results, and ultimately 30% of students dropping out of college never earning their degree, according to College Atlas. Do any of these situations sound familiar to you? I thought so. That is why it is so important to have professors who also know the science of education. Not everyone needs to be an expert in both fields, but there should at least be minimum education course requirements for PhD programs. It is obviously  important that professors are informed and skilled in their field of study, but if an engineering professor cannot get information through to her students, how will those students be able to turn classroom knowledge into workforce experience?

The next time you’ve done the work—and I mean truly put in the effort in every possible situation to succeed academically—without seeing the results on exams, remember that it may not be you that’s wrong. Instead, it might just be the education system failing its college students.

Three simple reminders. Three easy things to remember as you wait outside of retailer stores in the freezing cold at 5 in the morning for doors to reopen for more savings. I hope everyone has a great holiday season, especially those working in retail during those dates that we all dread year round as employees. You are all in my thoughts as the hectic day is fast approaching us. 

Sincerely, 

Someone in retail who is silently scared for another holiday season.

Hi! :) I am a student at the University of Akron, Akron, OH, but originally from Sharpsville, PA. I am double majoring with English and Adolescent-to-Young-Adult Education with Integrated Language Arts. I love sparkly things, my sisters, traveling, and having fun!
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.