5 Lessons I Learned About Myself from Online Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

As this unusual Spring 2020 semester wraps up across the country, my hope is that we were all able to thrive and succeed, despite the vast challenges thrown our way. I submitted my last assignment this semester last weekend for the University of Akron, and as I reflect on the transition of classes from in-person to online in the midst of one of the toughest global challenges that has personally affected me, there are five lessons I have gleaned from online classes about myself and how I work.

How to Work at My Own Pace

I have taken online classes previously this semester, so I was more adapted to this style of learning than some of my classmates but having everything online was definitely still a big change. I had to figure out how to get my work done without my classes to remind me and to help me. Some of my classes even assigned more work in replacement of in-class lectures which I did not previously have to prepare for. I also used to rely on doing my homework at my desk job on campus. That desk job is gone, so I had to sit down and learn what time of the day I am most productive. For me, to-do lists were a godsend, but my planner that I used to swear by was actually out of the window.

How to Be Flexible

I may love my yoga classes, but flexibility in my personal life and mindset was not previously for me. As the world changes out of my control, I had to learn to be flexible. There will be technical difficulties, my roommates will be distracting and life will get in the way, and there’s no gym or library to retreat to. Taking a step back to breathe and trying to put my situation in perspective was some help here.

How to Find Balance

As I have previously written, I was lucky to have had a desk job on campus that allowed me to do my homework at work. As this job has disappeared, I have had to actively make a balance between doing work, doing chores and taking care of myself. Schoolwork is not staying at school or work; now, it’s in my bed. Setting a goal for myself to accomplish every day for myself, my house and my school work plus reminders on my phone about due dates really helped me stay on top of everything without becoming too overwhelmed. 

How to Stay Motivated

I have always been motivated to achieve and excel and to get my work done early after really struggling with procrastination freshman year, but that demon reared its ugly head this semester. And how could it not? With the stress of the news, life changing in previously inconceivable ways every day and the pressure to succeed in the middle of a crisis, motivation is hard to come by. For me, I had to take it easy on myself. I tried to make doing homework enjoyable. I would light a candle, get a snack, put on a show or put on one of the new playlists I made and get comfy in bed or on the couch. I learned that I actually really like studying with Classical music, that I will never be a person who can work at a desk and that I study better with Law and Order: SVU then Too Hot to Handle in the background.

How to Avoid Overwork

After beating my procrastination habit, I developed a different habit: overworking. I would put in hours a day into assignments, going above and beyond to achieve, sign up for every activity my organizations offered and lose sleep doing homework that wasn’t due for two months to just get ahead. And while this felt good, it wasn’t sustainable or good for my stress levels. Prior to this semester, I had been studying for the LSAT on top of my classes, organizations and work. When everything changed in March, I realized that I needed to and that I could take a break and focus on myself for a change. This break did not make me lazy or unproductive or not enough. It made me better.

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.