How to Be Okay on Campus: Even When You’re Not Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

College is hard and damn anyone who disagrees. It’s taxing and draining. For many people, college (in this case, specifically undergraduate) is the first time they’ve had to deal with independent money struggles, separation from family, and obligations that aren’t ascribed to them by their parents. That’s rough, especially to deal with all at once while simultaneously trying to juggle your mental health in the mix.

“Mental health” refers to a real and serious issue that needs to be addressed in and out of the classroom, not just a set of buzzwords you see pop up sometimes on your Tumblr dashboard. Everyone deals with some aspect of mental health at some point in their lives. College is a cesspool for mental illness and harmful thoughts, and without guidance things can get really scary. To combat stigma and help fellow Scotties with mental illness, here are some resources that you may find helpful.

1. Branch out of the Agnes Bubble at least once a week. I know this is much easier said than done, but it works wonders. I hate the term “Agnes Bubble,” but sometimes, when you’re in a certain headspace, you can feel stifled by the borders of campus. Whether it’s a weekend getaway back home or just a quick walk to Java Monkey, branch out. When I’m at my most stressed, I drive into West End and window shop.

2. Go to CAPS. Seriously. I hesitated when filling out the questionnaire and application for the Counseling and Psychological Services at Agnes Scott (CAPS). I didn’t want to seem “crazy” or admit that I needed help. Needing help is not a bad thing, and you’re not “crazy” for asking for it. The team at CAPS is so helpful and at the end of the day, their sole purpose is to help people who need it. You can see a list of what CAPS handles as well as their contact information here.

3. Network with people who are about what you’re about. Even if it’s something as tiny as botany or card-collecting, find your people. Human nature makes us crave belonging. Don’t fight that feeling, do it! (FYI: There isn’t a botany or a card-collecting club on campus. Maybe you could be the first to start it.)

4. Don’t hesitate to leave a toxic friendship or two. It happens. Some relationships need to end. You’ll hear it all the time. It’s just a part of growing up. It might hurt at the time, but if it’s best for your mental health, you should definitely do it. Need to figure out whether a relationship is “toxic” or not? Here’s a reference.

5. Invest in some on campus events that are more low-key than others.

Not every event on campus needs to be all about loud music and dancing to be fun. Groups on campus such as ProBo and Theme House residents are always having events, usually with snacks and crafts. Look into them.

6. If you don’t need to be alone, don’t be alone. People are always on campus and willing to talk. I am a firm believer in the healing power of socialization. Talk it out with trusted friends; make some connections stronger.

7. If you’re feeling social, head to Evans for your next meal. Besides making sure you’re eating regularly, meeting up at Evans can do wonders for you socially.

8. Go to Snap Fitness. It’s a cliché but exercise can really easily get you out of a funk. As a Scottie, you get free membership to Snap Fitness when you sign their waiver. Make sure you’re there during the correct hours (any hours that are not between 5:00pm and 8:00pm) and exercise to your favorite music.

9. If it’s a nice day, chill at the Gazebo by Rebekah and Main. I don’t have to remind you that we live on a beautiful campus. Take advantage of the view and clear your head outside, weather permitting.

10. Always remember, you’re not the only one going through this. Mental illness happens to the best of us, which means it happens to everyone. Denying it isn’t helpful and embracing neurodiversity only improves the world around us. People care about you and are going through a lot of the same things you are. And it’s all okay.

I hope you find some benefit in these tips. Go forth and put them into action!

Victoria Kennedy is a sophomore at Agnes Scott College, double majoring in Women's Studies and Classical Languages. She is currently the Latin tutor at Agnes Scott and aspires to be a professor someday. She is an self proclaimed activist, and participates in movements relating to BlackLivesMatter, LGBT rights, Muslim-American rights, and legislation reform for youth of color.
Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.