george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

8 Ways to Recharge Yourself When You’re Feeling Burnt Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

With all of the responsibilities that come with being a college student and transitioning into adulthood, it is so easy to get caught up in everything and forget to practice self care, which leads to a feeling of being drained. Everyone experiences this “burnt out” feeling every once in a while, especially when you get lost in a cycle of doing the same things every day or go through a period of stress, like finals week. There are plenty of ways to “recharge” and reinvent yourself and overcome this feeling while continuing to fulfil your responsibilities to friends, to your family, to your professors, and to yourself. Here are a few ways I have recharged myself after going through a period of feeling drained.

Disconnect from social media for a few hours.

If you’re like me, technology is one of the biggest distractions in your life. It is so easy to simply dissociate from reality while scrolling through your never ending explore page on Instagram or Twitter. This is one of my worst habits because it can be so draining and disappointing to realize how much of your day was wasted mindlessly scrolling and being unproductive. If you decide to disconnect later on in the day, use the time you would have spent on social media to get some extra hours of sleep! Usually, time spent away from social media will be spent doing things that are either productive or enjoyable. Either way, logging off for the day can be very beneficial to your health and help you feel recharged in the long run.

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

Take a bubble bath or a relaxing shower.

While bubble baths are more preferable for me, dorm life makes them nearly impossible until I get a chance to go home. That being said, I’ve had to use a relaxing shower as a substitute. To make my showers extra comforting; I use water that is a little warmer than usual and use soap that has an amazing, long-lasting, scent, and lathers up a lot. My current favorite soap is the Carol’s Daughter Body Wash in Karite Coco. I always feel so refreshed after a good bubble bath/shower.

Photo by Grace Madeline on Unsplash

Take a  nice, long walk with or without music.

One of my favorite things to do after class or on the weekends is to walk around downtown Decatur. I use this time to organize my thoughts, plan out the rest of my day, or just to destress. This is such a useful help because not only does it help your mental health thrive, but it also boosts your physical health.

Photo by Lily Banse on Unsplash

Give yourself a makeover or do your makeup in a new way.

As someone who loves makeup, one of my favorite things to do is to try new looks, colors, and techniques on my face. It is so fun to temporarily transform into a new version of yourself through self-expression. It is so fun to step out of the box every once in a while and do something unconventional and unique with your makeup. If you’re feeling confident about your looks, you can post them on social media.

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Try some new food.

I’m a huge foodie so getting the opportunity to try new food is exciting for me, especially when it turns out to be something I really enjoy. Good food will not only nourish your body but also your soul. One food item I would recommend is a Tofu Bibimbap Burrito ($8.50) from K BBQ Taco in Decatur. The serving size is pretty good and the taste is great. Another food I would recommend is a Grilled Salmon Panini ($9.90) or a Grilled Vegetable Panini ($8.40) from Fresh To Order. Although the serving size is small for the price, it comes with chips and both paninis have a unique flavor and several vegetables in them. While both of these foods are unique and tasty, they also have a variety of vegetables in them, making it much better to opt for them instead of junk food.

Photo of Bibimbap Burrito By Brianna Walton

Clean or organize your room.

As I’ve mentioned in previous articles, if my room is messy I feel like I am unable to do anything productive. I become overwhelmed and miserable until my room is clean. Once I have cleaned, I feel satisfied, which allows me to feel like I can continue to do things that I need to do. I love to look at pictures on Pinterest and Instagram in order to get new ideas for item placement and DIYs to make and put in my room.

Photo by Nikole Enns on Unsplash

Browse the Internet for new ideas.

Learning about new things is a great way to feel refreshed. While many people tend to suggest staying away from the Internet and reading books to learn more information, I would personally encourage the use of the Internet. While books are great ways to relax, settle down, and learn some new things, the Internet tends to be less time consuming and more straight to the point. I love reading Her Campus articles because they have such a wide range in topics that after about five articles, I feel like I have so many new ideas. Also, I love watching Youtube videos about the habits of successful CEOs as well as other lifestyle videos to get ideas about how I can increase my productivity and practice healthier lifestyle habits.

Photo by Christian Wiediger on Unsplash

Try to make new outfits from clothes you already own.

You don’t need to buy a new wardrobe in order to spice up your fashion. Personally, I tend to style my articles of clothing the same way every time I wear them. By pairing up your clothes differently, you will not only reinvent your style, but also reinvent yourself. I love getting inspiration from Pinterest for outfits.

Photo by Alexandra Gorn on Unsplash

By incorporating new habits into your life, you will be able to feel refreshed and recharged after feeling as though your everyday routine is draining you. Make sure you are getting your basic necessities (6-8 hours of sleep, a lot of water, vitamins, at least three meals a day, eating fruits and vegetables, etc.)  every day. If you want a more in depth guide to self care ,please check out my article A Basic Guide Self Care. Please note that if you are constantly feeling drained no matter what you do, it would be a good idea to talk to either a friend or a professional counselor about your feelings. Your mental health is important and should be treated with as much regard as your physical health!

Brianna Walton

Agnes Scott '21

Brianna graduated from Agnes Scott College in 2021 with a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Business Management. She has a passion for social justice issues, self-care, and self-expression via writing. Her favorite things to do are listen to music, draw, talk to friends, and take long walks in nature. She is currently working as a digital marketer and freelance social media manager.