Where to Get Your Daily Caffeine Fix in Aberdeen – My Top Coffee Shop Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

I realise I’m a walking student stereotype, but coffee IS a valid personality trait while you’re at university and I’m here to save you some time by telling you where you should be going for it if you’re new to the city. Aberdeen is definitely up there with one of my favourite places and one thing the granite city does pretty well is independent coffee shops. So, whether you’re on campus or heading into the centre, here are my top recommendations guaranteed to see you through the semester.  

1. Foodstory.  

When I graduate and I’m forced to move away, I genuinely think I’ll miss this place as much as my friends. The interior and atmosphere always give you a buzz and the staff there are incredibly friendly and welcoming. And obviously, everything on their menu from their freshly baked cinnamon swirls to their dirty chai lattes is *chefs kiss*. I’d also recommend following their Instagram page for wholesome content and updates.  

1. The Cult of Coffee 

I only discovered this place in my third year which is embarrassing, but the vibes of this place are unmatched. The seating can be pretty limited on weekends, and they don’t encourage you to bring your laptops and have a study sesh, so Cult is definitely more of a social space. BUT it’s such a cosy place to visit with friends when you need a breather and I’d highly, highly recommend spending your Sunday afternoon here.  

1. Kilau Coffee 

The best coffee on campus and I refuse to be disagreed with. This place was my saviour during lockdown when most other places were shut. There’s no seating inside but having this place to grab your much needed coffee and lunch in between classes is so ideal when you’re in a hurry.  

1. Bonobo Cafe 

Oh look, another vegan cafe. BUT IT’S SO GOOD. I love that so many places in Abz are vegan and cater for different dietary requirements, but you wouldn’t even need to be solely plant-based to enjoy it because everything on the menu is just that damn good. Everyone there is SO welcoming, and the outdoor interior especially is gorgeous, especially when the lights are on and the cat comes out to say hello. They also have their own vegetable patch in the garden upstairs, so you know everything is fresh af.  

1. Books and Beans 

Firstly, the most wholesome name ever! Secondly, and speaking as an English lit student, who doesn’t want to be surrounded by books when you’re on your coffee break?? I just really like the concept of this place and it makes me appreciate the city even more than I already do.  

Other places that deserve a mention include Cafe Society, The Craftsman Company, Cafe Ahoy, and if you’re heading down to the beach – The Promenade Cafe.  

I'm a 22 year old student from North Wales studying MA English Literature at the University of Aberdeen. You'll find me writing about anything and everything from the horrors of imposter syndrome to Phoebe Waller-Bridge's latest revelation.