jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Welcome to The Committee Eszter Sólyom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Name: Eszter Sólyom

Studying: Business Management & International Relations

Year: 3

Committee Position: Secretary

HC: Hi Eszter, first of all, congratulations on your new committee position! For those who don’t know you, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?

ES: Hiya! Thank you, I am so excited to be here. I am originally from Hungary and moved to Aberdeen for university after falling in love with Scotland on a high school trip (and after learning our tuition was covered by SAAS, haha). I love sunsets, coffee, Instagram, baking and am obsessed with Netflix. I’m also a feminist killjoy & an actual grandma at heart.

HC: This is, of course, a Her Campus article, so tell us when and why you first joined and why you decided to run for your position of Secretary?

ES: In fact, Her Campus was the first society I joined in my first year. I came for the cutest merch I saw on campus after spotting HC’s stand at the Fayre and stayed for the amazing community and the girl power. I knew I wanted to run for a position last year and I went for secretary because this way I can help and be involved in most things – also, let’s be honest, I am a bit of a control freak so I can’t wait to stay on top of everything.

HC: We have so much to look forward to as a society, but what are you looking forward to most as a member of this year’s committee and more generally in the coming year?

ES: I personally can’t wait for all the writers’ meetings because I love the brainstorms we usually have going on! This is my first time on the committee so, of course, I’m excited about working closely with the girls and being involved in organising all the events we have planned as well.

HC: University is such an exciting time in your life! What advice do you have for Freshers and especially for international students such as yourself?

ES: Being a Fresher, especially if you just moved to a foreign country can be super daunting! I think the best advice would be to make full use of the opportunities you are provided at uni – try out different societies, go to the events, use the Career Service, talk to SRAs, meet up with your Student 4 Student Mentor… and so on. The culture shock (or generally the stress of moving away from home for the first time) is real, but the more things you engage with the more you’ll feel comfortable in your new surroundings.

HC: You’ve lived in Aberdeen for a while now. What would you say the best part about living here is and what makes it such a great city for students?

ES: This might be just me, but Aberdeen feels like a big city and a small village magically combined into one. You have lots of clubs, shops, restaurants, gyms… and so on to choose from, but at the same time you can easily get around walking and you’ll always (always!) run into someone you know in town. Having such a beautiful campus and the beach at a walking distance is also definitely an advantage.

HC: Finally, what are some things you think you just couldn’t live without?

ES: Wifi, coffee, books, soft blankets, my bullet journal, art, chocolate, my phone… The list goes on.

HC: Time for a favourite of ours in the committee profiles: The Quick Fire Round!

HC: Coffee or Tea?

ES: Coffee all the way.

HC: Favourite fandom?

ES: If I had to choose, I’d say SuperWhoLock. But to be honest, I usually just get super into whatever I am watching at the time.

HC: Favourite song to dance to on a night out?

ES: Anything that I know the lyrics of, so I can sing along. Extra points for girl power anthems. 

HC: Last show you binge-watched?

ES: This will probably not be up to date by the time the article is published, but Santa Clarita Diet.

HC: Are you a night owl or an early bird?

ES: Definitely a night owl!

HC: Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all these questions! We are really looking forward to working with you and seeing you at all the meetings!

All photos: Eszter’s own

Ellen Vinke

Aberdeen '21

22 years old, studying postgrad Creative Writing at the University of Aberdeen! Lover of all things feline or nerdy x