alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Welcome To The Committee: Beverley Clay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

HCAU Profile : Beverley Clay

Name: Beverley Clay

Degree: English and Sociology

Year: 4th

Committee Position: Editor

Our new president Tamarra got a chance to catch up with Beverley over the summer break. Read on to find out a little bit more about our new editor.

HC: Hey Beverley! Welcome to the committee! Are you excited about your new role?

BC: Definitely! I’ve been reading the articles for quite a long time now, so I’m really excited to be able to get more involved in the whole process.

HC: You’ve been on HCAU for a couple years now and we know that you actually won an award for your writing at our AGM. Have you always been a keen writer, what’s your favourite article that you’ve written?

BC: I’ve been writing since I can remember – I love telling stories as well as reading them. And getting a chance to write about things that interest me is so much fun!

HC: Do you think being a keen writer will help you in your new role?

BC: I think it can’t hurt! A big part of writing is editing, whether it’s grammar, or working on the bigger picture, like the theme. Another big part of being a writer is being a reader, which also builds up those skills.

HC: So, I know that you’ve been in Canada and America over summer! That’s so cool! How long were you over there for?

BC: Just over three weeks, which was really fun! It gave us a chance to really explore the place and get stuck in to the experience – we got to see so many amazing places!

HC: We’re very jealous! Are you excited to be back in Aberdeen? Tell us something, if you can, that you missed about this grey city that we all chose to study in.

BC: I am, especially as it’s my last year here! I love that everything is so close, it’s a really accessible city and you’re never too far away. And it may be a cliché, but Aberdeen really does look beautiful when the sun comes out!

HC: Let’s get a little more personal, if you’ll let us, can you tell us something that we HC gals don’t already know about you?

BC: It’s a bit of a random one, but I can play the ukulele. I just decided one day that it would be fun and taught myself from there!

HC: If you weren’t studying English and sociology what do you think you’d be doing instead and do you think you’d be here?

BC: I think I’d definitely be at Aberdeen – it’s just the right fit for me. And as for other subjects, I’ve always had an interest in history, classics, and politics, I think those would be a lot of fun. I basically spend my time just being curious about everything!

HC: And finally, what is your priority for this year’s freshers’ week? Are you keen to hit the clubs? Tell us what you love/hate about our infamous week of binge drinking!

BC: It’ll be a lot of fun meeting all the new girls who sign up, and freshers’ is a great time to get to know everyone – probably a bit more than you might mean to!

Thanks so much Bev! It was so fun to delve deeper into what makes you you! Much love and congratulations on your new role – we know you’ll kill it.

All photos: Bev’s Own