A very special Campus Cutie: Mrs P!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Everyone who lives in catered halls knows this lady. You will most likely see her in the evening when you go to the Hub for dinner. She either has to scan your student ID card or click to count the number of students coming for dinner. On a Wednesday afternoon, we were lucky enough to catch a minute of her time in the dining hall at the Hub to have this interview and we think she’s one of our most favourite Campus Cuties yet!

HC: Mrs. Paterson, how long have you been working here?

Mrs. P: I’ve been working here since 1964. It’s the year where the typhoid in Aberdeen broke out. Back then, I worked at Crombie Hall as a house table maid: I cleaned the students’ rooms and served their evening meal. The Hub was The Refectory where we also fed students. 60 million pounds have been spent on this building which we know as The Hub.

HC: What do you do now?

Mrs. P.: I work at the reception at night counting the students, and at the end of the night I clear the salad bar.

HC: Could you tell us more about you?

Mrs. P.: I’ve been widowed since 1988. I have two sons, one living in America and the other lives here in Aberdeen. I also have four grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

HC: What do you enjoy most about your work?

Mrs. P.: I have to say that I have a very good relationship with the students. They keep me young and I could write a whole book about everything I experienced since I’ve started working here.

HC: Is there a particular student which still stays in your mind?

Mrs. P.: There are several students, but there was once a girl and a boy who met here in halls and became a couple. Now they’re grandparents and I always hear from them at Christmas. I’ve been invited to several weddings by couples who met here at this University. I travelled to China and the US to attend their weddings. I also remember a student who was very political-minded, still very clever and he’s now working for the government.

HC: Do you have any particular advice to give to students at this university?

Mrs. P.: Yes, they should enjoy their time here and if you give young students respect, they will respect you.

Thanks Mrs P, we’ve loved to hear some of your stories!

Natascha studies English with Creative Writing at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland. She is fascinated by ancient cultures, loves reading books on spirituality, travelling, dancing and doing yoga. Poetry, Pinterest and her encounters with people are her sources of inspiration and strength. Her passion for writing started at the age of eight and she likes writing articles basically on anything from mental health, personal experiences or her favourite music band. She loves spending time with her loved ones and enjoys drinking tea. Song of the moment: Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song) Favourite accessory: earrings Favourite movie as a child: The Wizard of Oz Book of the moment: Open Wide by Melissa Ambrosini 'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.' - Eleanor Roosevelt
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.