This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

During the pandemic, there was very limited things to do since everything you could do usually involved being inside. As the weather started to get nicer during the summer, I noticed more people were taking advantage of the outdoors, especially parks. I forgot how many lovely parks Aberdeen has where you can admire beautiful flowers, have a cosy picnic or even a relaxing stroll. Here are my top five parks that you should visit! 

1. Hazlehead Park 

The oldest park in Aberdeen, Hazlelhead Park, a little bit further from the university and is a massive, beautiful park which as something for everybody! Apart from a lovely walk you can do round the park, there’s a children’s playground and a pet’s corner consisting of animals such as donkeys, ponies, and chinchillas. Currently going under repairs, Hazlehead also has a massive maze and is home to a memorial garden from a baby ash scandal. To top it off, it has a little café which do delicious drinks, snacks, ice-cream and lunch meals. 

2. Duthie Park 

By the River Dee, the park is named after Lady Elizabeth Duthie or Ruthreiston which she bought the land to build the park in memory of her uncle and brother. The Winter Gardens is made of a large variety of plants, including banana trees and anthuria. With a large space between the Winter Gardens and three different playgrounds, the space is usually filled by dog walkers, kids playing ball and the occasional cricket team. Duthie Park also has a café that does meals and ice cream. 

3. Johnston Gardens 

Winning the Britain in Bloom competition multiple times, this public garden is blooming with flowers, trees and plants solely for an aesthetic reasons. A popular destination for wedding pictures to be taken, Johnston Gardens has a breath-taking view for a relaxing stroll. 

4. Seaton Park  

The closest park to the university is easiest one of the biggest parks in the city. Right next to the River Don, Seaton as stunning flowerbeds which you can walk by coming through and from Hillhead. It has a great trail and also has a children’s playground as well as table tennis tables. The large greenery makes it easy for people to do parks or have a calming picnic spot. 

Victoria Park and Westburn park 

Named after Queen Victoria, Victoria Park has a fountain in the centre of the park made of fourteen different types of granite. With large green spaces, many people like to read under its trees, have picnics and walk their dogs.  

Right next to Victoria Park is Westburn Park, where most people don’t walk to one without strolling across to the other. Westburn Park consists of large spaces, a children’s playground, a skatepark and ba

Business Management and Psychology graduate from the University of Aberdeen '22