HC Aberdeen
HC Aberdeen
Image by HC Aberdeen

The Five Characters of the Rice Cube

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

No.1 Crammers. 

This type of studier has obviously been neglecting their degree for the last 2 months and the panic is carved into their face like a tortured statue. They go for blocks of 7 hours in as close to pyjamas as they can get away with in public. They have three bottles with them, one of water, one of coffee and one of Coke or something similar. None of the bottles are see through so that no sneaky staff member can see that there’s something other than water inside. As you watch them you see the back problems forming in front of your eyes as they hunch over their papers, tears silently dripping from their eyes. If they go for a break, you’ll see them sit in shellshocked silence and jump up as their ten-minute alarm goes. This behaviour is typically exhibited in business and psychology students.  

No.2 Time-killers. 

This student is in the library only because they have another class and it’s closer than home. They have dreams of being productive and leaving with a full feeling in their soul but as they look for a place to sit the armchairs call to them and they answer that call. They balance their laptop on their knees hopefully, but you know, and they know that no productivity is coming to them. Alternately they sit at a desk facing the window with their laptop open, but off. They have such a particular posture, that you can identify them by that alone. Slouching so much they are practically lying down. General aura of resignation. Man spreading (regardless of gender). Because they only have say, an hour it feels pointless starting a big task. But everything in uni is a big task. So instead, they sit in conflicted silence and gets increasingly paranoid that people in the library are judging them for being on their phone.  

No.3 The Regulars. 

These every day visitors know that this is the one location in Aberdeen that they have any hope of being productive in. They’re dressed to the nines because they know the chances of an Abercrush being written about them is high considering the amount of time they spend there. You’ll see them placing their belongings and preparing themselves as though it’s routine and suddenly they’re absorbed and don’t look up for another two hours. They will always be on the same floor as they’ve grown accustomed to hitting that same elevator button every day. They make a beeline for the same area of this floor every time and somehow there will always be a table for them there. They walk in and out with a skip in their step that only someone who has achieved ridiculous amounts could have. The power this archetype has is terrifying. 

No.4 The Chatters.  

These people seem to think that the library is the hottest social spot to be. With little to no volume control you’ll get all their gossip as they remain completely unaware of everyone else’s academic panic. Normally they come in pairs and spread themselves across a four-person table. They’ll begin with a cautious loud whisper and when no one objects slowly bring the volume up to what can only be describes as a ruckus. Conveniently their eyeline won’t catch any of the dirty looks they get and without writing a word they’ll disappear to find their other chatters and haunt another floor. They tend to dwell in the highest floors and will always sit in the furthest seats from the elevators so that you get to hear them chatter loudly all the way across the floor until the elevator doors close on them and the whole floor takes a deep breath out. The Chatters and The Regulars are mortal enemies.  

No.5 Dr Proctor. 

Maeve Topliff

Aberdeen '24

Currently studying English at The University of Aberdeen. I like writing about films and women and quite often women in films. I am passionate about using my voice for change.