Songs From 2019 That Said “Screw Men”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

“If you feel like a girl, then you real like a girl.”

2019 was full of powerful women releasing incredible songs. Since we’ve jumped into a new decade and with everything that’s going on in the world currently, I think we all need to feel a bit more empowered. Therefore, let’s take a look back at the year that passed. Here’s my top five songs from 2019 that said “f*ck the patriarchy” and made me feel empowered as a woman.

‘The Man’ by Taylor Swift

Released August 2019 on Lover

By now, everyone who knows me is aware of my love for Taylor Swift. It should therefore not be a surprise that my list starts with the amazing, ‘The Man’. In this, Swift details how her life would be different if she had made all the same choices, but as a man. Highlighting the double standards of our society and gender inequality, she wonders whether she’d “get there quicker if [she] was a man.” Swift performed ‘The Man’ at the 2019 AMAs. Shortly before, it was revealed that she is fighting for the right to own her past albums which have been bought Scooter Braun. This really elevated the song, its message clearly being extremely relevant. It’s thought-provoking and absolutely deserves to become a single in 2020.

‘Like a Girl’ by Lizzo

Released May 2019 on I Love You

It’s no secret that here at Her Campus Aberdeen, we absolutely adore Lizzo. After all, she is 100% that bitch, and ‘Like a Girl’ embodies female solidarity. I’d also like to point out the line “if you feel like a girl, then you real like a girl,” which is such an important message to be portrayed in mainstream media. Lizzo has previously spoken out in support of transgender people, along with other marginalised groups. It’s a great reminder that you really are capable of doing everything you want, even when the world seems out to get you.

‘THAT B*TCH’ by Bea Miller

https://twitter.com/ThisBeLi/status/1190268839855972357

Released November 2019 as a single

Speaking of that bitch… ‘THAT B*TCH’ has been called an angrier version of Swift’s ‘The Man’, which is a perfectly accurate description. Dealing with the same topics of double standards and sexism in society, Miller is far more explicit in expressing her anger – “society is sucking on your d*ck, and since I got a p*ssy, I’m a b*tch.” Before the release of ‘THAT B*TCH’, Miller expressed her concern online regarding how the single would be received. However, she reminded herself of how men in the industry have released similar songs, “so f*ck it.” Let’s just say that I’m very much here for it.

‘Mother’s Daughter’ by Miley Cyrus

Released May 2019 on SHE IS COMING

Let’s talk about this music video, because it’s incredible, embodying the lyrics “don’t f*ck with my freedom.” Text such as VIRGINITY IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT, NOT AN OBJECT and MY BODY MY RULES flashing across the screen, challenging many of the issues women face. It also showcases pads, and scars from c-sections and breastfeeding, which are completely normal things but sadly considered taboo in society. Finally, it portrays an array of different people; Leo Baker, a professional skater who is queer and uses they/them pronouns; Mari Copeny, also known as Little Miss Flint, a young activist fighting to give Flint, USA clean water; Angel, an actress who is fat and promotes body positivity; and Aaron Philip, a model who is black, transgender and disabled. If you haven’t experienced the incredible feeling of watching this video, you’re missing out.

‘Nightmare’ by Halsey

Released May 2019 as a single

2019 was truly Halsey’s year, her single ‘Without Me’ being played on the radio nonstop. Sadly, not as much love was shown to her other single, ‘Nightmare’. Halsey has a history with speaking up when it comes to equal rights, which is showcased in her incredible speech from the 2018 Women’s March in New York. This song seems to encompass the same ideas, with Halsey expressing that she’d rather be an unruly nightmare by speaking up than keeping quiet. ‘Nightmare’ has a punk-rock inspired sound, which is why I’ve dubbed it my angry feminist song. It’s perfect for screaming along to in the shower, your room, or anywhere really.

A Dane who somehow found her way to Scotland. Interests include literature, art, LGBTQ+ issues, and internet oddities. Editor for Her Campus at the University of Aberdeen.