This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

HCAU: Hi Chels! We want to know all about your university experiences, some of your likes and dislikes, and just generally more about you as a person! How are you feeling? 

Chels: Hi! I’m doing great and am really looking forward to being back and seeing everyone again after the pandemic! I’m going into my fourth year studying Business Management and Psychology, and I’m excited to finally get my degree! Afterwards, I want to go on a gap year to Hong Kong and mainland China as, growing up there my entire life, I want to fully indulge in my heritage and culture. 

Apart from university, I love writing, reading, crafting, volunteering, and playing table tennis!  

HCAU: I’m glad to hear that, let’s jump right in and get started! What made you want to join HCAU? 

Chels: I joined HCAU because I have always loved writing. From a young age I’ve been an avid reader and written stories of my own. HCAU is amazing because I get to share my pieces with other people, and also read the pieces of all the other talented writers! 

HCAU: What about being Editor? What made you decide to go for this role? Any exciting plans up your sleeve? 

Chels: I decided to go for this role because I often edit my friends’ work for university, and I’ve always been told I’m good at nitpicking the right things and have a good way of making sentences flow. I felt like it would be nice to do that for HCAU, and also have the privilege to read the articles before they go up on the site! 

HCAU: We can’t wait! We hope you’ve been enjoying your summer, have you been up to anything interesting? 

Chels: I have! I’ve been catching up with my friends which is a lot better than being stuck indoors because of the pandemic! I’ve been continuing to write and had some time to wind down. A lot of my hobbies include creating something in some way; I now crochet, make gifts, stickers and prints, and have been encouraged by my friends to make an Etsy store, so I did!  

HCAU: All good things must come to an end, and the end of summer starts with going back to university. Any advice for newcomers at Aberdeen University? 

Chels: Try new things! It’s so important to try things even if you aren’t 100% sure how much you will like it, because even if there’s a chance you won’t like it, there’s also a big chance you will and it will change your life!  

The other thing is to be willing to ask for help. I’m horrible at asking for help as I love doing things on my own, but be okay with asking for support when you need it. The right people will be there and a good support network is vital for surviving uni! 

Lastly, take more pictures! Make mementos with the current people in your life, because it is such a lovely way to look back on these golden years. 

HCAU: We’ve got a few quick-fire questions for you; we hope you are ready! 

Dinner OR Drinks? 

Chels: This is such a hard choice, but, personally, I actually quite like having a dinner with drinks! 

Favourite Book? 

Chels: Definitely depends on my mood although my all-time go-to is my childhood favourite, Wonder, or the entire Warriors franchise. Currently I am a lover of any book written by Haruki Murakami, especially Kafka on the Shore

Main meal OR Dessert? 

Chels: Dessert! 

Favourite Aberdeen night out? 

Chels: I always like pre-ing at someone’s flat before going to Spoons, Prohibition, then ending in Underground!  

Business Management and Psychology graduate from the University of Aberdeen '22