The Lies We Tell Ourselves at University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

It’s the start of a new semester; you’re feeling good, you set yourself some goals, you’re feeling optimistic. Then it all goes downhill and you need to keep telling yourself a few fibs to get through.

We have all been guilty of it at some point and so here is my light-hearted take on some of the white lies I often tell myself so you know you’re not alone.

I will study and stick to a schedule to do my work

No you won’t, you’ll leave it all until last minute and everything will hit you like a ball to the face

I can totally get through the week without having a mental breakdown

Don’t even try lying to yourself, you’ll be having a crisis on the floor soon

I will spend x amount of money this week and stick to a budget

Girl, no you won’t

I can totally go out tonight and make my 9am tomorrow

On the unlikely event that you do make it, you’ll be sleeping in class

I’ll make a meal plan

You’ll plan to but then you’ll end up living on pot noodles and stuffing your face all week

I can absolutely have a part-time job with extra hours and do all my university work

Why do you do this to yourself?

I will join ALL THE SOCIETIES

You’ll go for the first 2 weeks and then give up

I will re-write my notes when I get home

Why even try to kid yourself?

I’ll go home and nap then I’ll do my work

You’ll nap until like 8pm have food and then go back to sleep

I’ll do all the required reading and recommended reading

You won’t even make it through the required reading

I’ll only go out for one drink tonight

This is just setting yourself up for failure. You will go out, have multiple drinks, and tell everyone you love them by 11pm

I’ll do the dishes tomorrow

No, you won’t, they’ll build up until some brave soul cracks and takes the mess on

At the end of the day, University is only part of a small fraction of your life so make the most of it and have fun. If you need to lie to yourself every once in a while, then that’s totally okay.

Jade Kay

Aberdeen '20

Philosophy student at Aberdeen with an interest in entertainment reviews, tips, tricks, make-up and positivity.