Wellness > Mental Health

Four Pillars: supporting Grampian’s LGBT+ Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Three months ago, I began volunteering at a charity here in Aberdeen, called Four Pillars in Aberdeen Market. Upon seeing an advertisement on Facebook where a local LGBT+ charity was looking for volunteers, I hastily searched their webpage in order to get my application in as soon as possible. Before seeing this ad, I was completely unaware that the Grampian area had any organisations that focus on the LGBT+ community.  I kept thinking, why haven’t I heard about this earlier? Before submitting my CV, I scanned through the charity’s About Page, and I learned a lot of things such as:

#1 This charity was formed back in2016 after feeling a growing dissatisfaction with the services, or lack thereof, in the Grampian area that was on offer for the LGBT+.

#2 From there, they set out to support the LGBT+ community in four different manners of health: sexual, mental, emotional, and physical. They wanted to focus on these areas because they noted that if someone is not in the right frame of mind to look after their basic needs, then they are less likely to look after their sexual health needs, for example, which may lead to an increase in HIV and STI transmissions. 

#3 They work closely with the LGBT+ community to better educate everyone so they look after their health and wellbeing by offering advice, information and barrier contraception within the LGBT hub, at specific events and by attending educational facilities and other venues.

#4 They were also responsible for the organisation of Grampian Pride!!!

Since joining, I have learned tonnes of new information about the charity. We run support groups for the LGBT+ community in the Grampian area

• Positive Peers- a HIV support group, 1-2-1 support can also be provided
  • TransParent- a support group for parents of transgender children
  • Grampian T-Folk- a transgender social group
  • Out & About- a social group for anyone who wants to join, and it aims to help people to meet others within in the community that they might not otherwise have met.
  • Pink Granite- a social group that is for women, including transgender women, who want to meet others within the community that they might not otherwise have met.

If you are interested in any of the above then I recommend messaging on the FB page to find out more.

Other than advice, we also offer barrier contraception and sanitary products in the LGBT hub for free. We have a community fridge and pantry, which is open for anyone who needs perishable or non-perishable food for free, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

We recently set up a new system called “love is…” which allows you to pay ahead for someone else’s beverage or snack, meaning that someone who does not have the funds for a drink or snack do not get left out.

Additionally in the hub, we have a café where we offer a range of drinks and pre-packaged snacks that you can enjoy whilst playing out Xbox 360/PlayStation 3, chatting to one of the members of staff, or studying (we have free WIFI!!!!!!). On top of this we have pride themed merchandise for sale, so you can get geared up for the next Grampian Pride.

Before joining the team at Four Pillars, I would have never guessed that there is such a kind, hard working, and passionate group of people dedicated to helping the Grampian’s LGBT+ community. It is truly an honour to work with everyone there, knowing how we are all positively impacting the community by doing our bit. The charity truly does not get the recognition it deserves. If you like the sound of all of this then check out our bake sale this Saturday, poster below:

Follow us on our Facebook page to keep up to date with events, and come in and say hey, we are located in the Aberdeen Market!

Zachary Hunter

Aberdeen '20

English and Language & Linguistics Student at Aberdeen
Emily Sullivan

Aberdeen '20

Vice President at HCAU xo Anthropology student at Aberdeen University.