This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Uzumaki by Junji Ito

For when you are ready to be consumed by the void – an almost daily occurrence. The book is a fun representation of things ‘spiralling’ out of control. 

And I Darken by Kiersten White

For when you’re ready to fight anyone and everyone; the particular mood when that one dude asks if he can ‘play devil’s advocate’, or when a horrific society based on policing women’s bodies and choices exists. Everyday things. Female Vlad the Impaler vibes. Quote to set the mood: “On our wedding night,” she said, “I will cut out your tongue and swallow it. Then both tongues that spoke our marriage vows will belong to me, and I will be wed only to myself. You will most likely choke to death on your own blood, which will be unfortunate, but I will be both husband and wife and therefore not a widow to be pitied.”

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly 

For mid-project when you eat, breathe, and sleep uni work; simultaneously creating a monster while becoming one yourself. It’s a mood. 

Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History by Bill Schutt 

For when your flatmates are hitting way too many nerves. Might be a good coffee table book as a gentle reminder to be a good flatmate. 

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas 

For when you’re feeling all your feelings and you need to scream or cry. 

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint

For when everything is dark and gloomy, and you could use something precious. About two weeks into lectures.

Becoming by Michelle Obama 

To help guide you when you feel a little lost on your university journey.

Fourth year Psychology student who reads way more than writes. Current Aberdeen PR sec.