This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

The Best Potato Wedges

I love cooking and I’m always trying out new recipes that I find online or in cook books. A few weeks ago, I managed to make, accidently, the best potato wedges I have ever had. Not only were they crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, but they were so easy to make!

Step 1:

I used three Royal Charlotte potatoes, but you can use whatever type you like – even sweet potatoes – but remember: the bigger the potato, the bigger the wedges. There’s no need to peel the potatoes, simply give them a wash then cut them in half and then in half again.

Step 2:

After chopping your potatoes into wedges, place them all in a bowl to marinate with the herbs and spices you chose. Do this step whilst your oven is preheating to 180 degrees. You can use any spices you like and as much of them as you want. I’m not a big lover of spicy food so my wedges have a lot of mixed herbs and just a small amount of fajita seasoning. In the bowl add oil, the spices, then some salt and pepper. I used lemon infused oil just to add some extra flavour, but any oil is fine. Mix the potatoes in the oil and spice mix and leave to marinate whilst the oven heats up. I would give them an extra five minutes after the oven has preheated so they absorb as much flavour as possible.

Step 3:

It’s best to have a non-stick baking tray for cooking the wedges, but if you don’t have one, take a teaspoon of oil and drizzle it over the baking tray. Line the wedges up, skin down on the baking tray and place in the oven for 30 minutes (20-25 if you don’t want them crispy). Remove the wedges after 15 minutes and give them a shake, then place them back in the oven for the remaining 15 minutes.

Step 4:

I like my wedges very crispy, so I leave them in the oven for the full 30 minutes, but after 20 minutes you can take them out if you like them a bit softer. Be careful that the smaller ones don’t burn at the edges, like some of mine have. You should have perfectly seasoned and crispy wedges in 30 minutes, and all homemade!

Holly Judge

Aberdeen '19

MA English Graduate 2018 and PGDE Secondary (English) student 2018-19. President of Her Campus Aberdeen 2018-2019