Life > Experiences

An Unofficial Guide on How to Get Everything Done (At Your Own Pace)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Finding a balance between studies, a social life, health, and work as a university student as a young adult can be incredibly challenging. For university students, the loss of structure high school provides can make daily routines difficult to follow, and important things get left unfinished or left behind and it feels impossible to get caught back up. My efforts to balance studying, social events, going to the gym, making three meals a day, and working part-time, plus all the little tasks that add up, led to disappointment and frustration when they did not go exactly as I anticipated.

Recently I’ve been trying to approach my daily routines with a new perspective: I don’t get everything done and that’s okay. My new structure is based on getting four things done every day that keep my foundation stable – anything else is just a bonus. Everything fits into four categories: school, self-care, health, and social. If I feel drained and unproductive, I choose one thing from each of these categories, but if I feel motivated and energised, I’ll aim for two from each category- or try and catch up on other tasks I’ve been putting off. The tasks in each category range from low effort to high intensity for some variety in my choices. My personal tasks are:

School:

• a library study session,
  • an at-home study session,
  • rewatching missed lectures,
  • working on a deadline,
  • reviewing notes,
  • talking to classmates or lecturers about anything I don’t understand.

Self-Care:

• take a long shower,
  • do skin care,
  • do a yoga session,
  • have time away from a screen,
  • read,
  • do something for a hobby,
  • go outside,
  • clean my personal spaces,
  • take a nap

Health:

• Cook three meals (preferably full of protein and vitamins),
  • try a new recipe,
  • do an at-home workout,
  • do a gym workout,
  • book any doctor appointments I’ve been putting off,
  • take a walk outside,
  • take some decompression time,
  • check in with a therapist,
  • stretch

Social:

• get a coffee with a friend,
  • go to a society event,
  • call my friends or family,
  • sit in a public space,
  • reach out to a friend or someone new,
  • go somewhere I haven’t had time to visit yet

These categories aren’t comprehensive; it is completely personal and can be adjusted to anyone’s needs or capabilities. There are other things that need to be done during the day, but I consider these bonuses; doing laundry is something additional I do to help my future self, but it may not get done depending on my energy levels that day. A productive day for me might include a library study session, a yoga session, cooking three meals, and going to a social event – plus some extra tasks. Some days though I can manage to review my notes, take a nap, stretch, and call my mom; it all depends on energy levels and what is accomplishable that day.

The benefit of constructing a daily plan using this structure is the flexibility it provides. Holding myself to a minimum of four tasks that will feed my mind and body, as well as decrease present and future stress, gives me a sense of accomplishment even if they aren’t energy-intensive. If I work on a particular day, I might not even hold myself to four tasks, but rather two or three based on what I feel is feasible with the amount of time and energy I have left. Following this structure makes it easier to build a working schedule for success and get everything done in a week.

Hi! I am the chapter correspondent for HC Aberdeen, as well as crochet, reading, and movie lover! I am an undergrad in anthropology and archaeology, and love to write in my free time <3 I grew up in Frederick, Maryland, and came to Aberdeen to study - but I love it here and plan to stay! HC has been a place I can go since first year, and I hope it can be that place for everyone :)