8 Ways To Make The Most Of Your Gym Membership

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

8 ways to make the most out of your gym membership:

Bikini season is just around the corner so here is your ultimate guide to ensure you make the most out of your gym membership!

1.     Actually go to the gym

It pains us to see the direct debit come off every month with us not having used the gym! The solution? Well, the best way to get your money’s worth is make the time to actually go.

2. Choose the right time to go

Everyone knows Mondays and 4-6 pm are peak gym times, so to ensure you have the best workout possible, avoid that time frame. When the gym is quieter, you can spend longer on cardio machines and I personally often find myself trying new machines as there are less people around.

3. Use the swimming pool

Not only is swimming a great all-body workout, chances are there will be a sauna too, bonus! And if your gym membership is at ASV, they have just opened the lush new aquatics center.

4. Go to the classes!!

The best way to fit in a gym session into your busy schedule is to book a class as it is an efficient use of your time. Most gym memberships include access to classes and even if your membership doesn’t, classes tend only be £4-£6. Repeating the same workout can be boring and ineffective! Classes are a great way to have fun so grab your nearest friend and make your next girls day out a trip to the gym.

5. Grab a gym buddy!

We all know spending time with our BFFs is fun so how about working out with someone to keep you motivated and this allows you to spend some quality time catching up as well.

6. Know your workout!

If you have a set workout and a clear idea of what exercises you’re going to do, your time at the gym will be concise and you will spend less time thinking about what you will do next. Plus, you will most likely feel more rewarded by keeping track of how your time/weight/distance has improved over time! 

7. Use weights!

There can be a horrible myth that lifting weights will make you ‘huge’. Weights help to push your body further rather than reaching a ‘plateau’ of weight loss. Body pump is a big favourite for us HC girls as its great for toning.

8. Don’t let the calorie count fool you

We all love that feeling of seeing how many calories we’ve burnt but the sad reality of this is that the number could be highly inaccurate. Try not to hang on to the number on the machine, try different methods of measuring your progress. 

(Photo Credits: meme generator, abdn.ac.uk, Aberdeen Sports Village, funniest memes)

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.