kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways To Get Ready For Summer, Inside and Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Most people want to look and feel their best come the summer months. Often times more skin is shown than during the winter and people come out of hibernation to absorb the wonderful benefits of vitamin D. However, if you feel like you have been lacking in self-care during the treacherous winter months, here are a few tips on how you can feel better about yourself, inside and out.

Drink Water

I know everyone says this, and at this point it is almost expected to be in this article, but the truth is that drinking water is important. It helps with weight loss, bloating, clearing the skin and overall wellbeing. Our bodies are about 60-65% water, so without replenishing what we lose throughout the day, our bodies lack in function and performance. Try your best to have 6-8 glasses of water in a day. In my opinion, the easiest way to accomplish this is by always having a reusable water bottle on hand. You can even get some that light up, reminding you to drink.

Source: Giphy

Try Going on Daily Walks

As much as high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and weight training are encouraged, low intensity steady state cardio (LISS) is a great way to get outside more and get toned. By walking at a steady pace for 45 minutes to an hour 3-4 times a week , you are able to create a routine. This will help build a foundation for being active on a daily basis. LISS is also a great form of cardio because it helps burn fat. Fat needs oxygen to break down, so the more oxygen used the more fat is broken down. If you are already someone who goes to the gym on a daily basis, consider using LISS on recovery days.

Source: Giphy

Read a Self-Love or Motivational Book 

Although you may lean more towards being the student who doesn’t read anything unless it is mandatory, if you are looking for something to pick up, self-love or motivational books are a great start. One of the reasons I prefer these types of books is because they are not something that you need to consistently focus on. You can grab and go, and read when you want. And with every page turn, you are able to interpret what the author is saying and relate it to your own life. 

Source: Giphy

Try Intermittent Fasting

If you are someone who feels like they can’t stick to a specific and restricted diet but are looking for a life change then this may be for you. Intermittent fasting is a lifestyle where you have a change in cycles of eating and fasting. It is based off of the science that it takes 10-12 hours for your body to fully digest anything you put into it. This means if you last meal is at 11 p.m. and you wake up at 9 a.m. to have breakfast, your body will just have recovered from last night’s intake. But if you have your last meal at 7 p.m. and don’t eat until 10 or 11 a.m. the next day, your body has had 15-16 hours to digest and recover. You will then feel more hungry and less bloated. As someone who has been practicing this for about two months, I would say it does work as I feel better, have more energy and feel more confident. If you are interested in learning more about intermittent fasting you can check out this post on HealthLine.

Source: Giphy

Take Time for Yourself

Although summer can be super busy with work, friends and maybe even school, it is important to remember that the break is also about taking time for yourself. Find a quiet and calming place that you can escape to. Take up activities that you did before you started becoming an adult. Draw, paint, play music, sing, write, do ANYTHING. Go camping alone, go on hikes, find a new small cafe in a town that you have never been to. This will help with your emotional and mental health throughout the summer months.

Source: Giphy

I hope that you have an amazing spring and summer. Remember to keep your heads high and your wine glasses full. (Wine doesn’t count in intermittent fasting.) Cheers!

Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.