stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Eating Healthy on a College Student’s Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The dreaded “freshman fifteen” is not a myth. On average, nearly one in four college freshmen gain 10 to 15 pounds in their first semester.

This has to do with many factors — one being that college is the first time in many people’s lives that they are able to make their own choices regarding food.

“I can eat a chocolate cake for breakfast, french fries for lunch, and cookies for dinner! Take that Mom!”

When unleashed into an entirely new setting, many young adults are not educated on what they should be eating for optimal health. In addition to this, college campuses are notorious for supplying fast food restaurants, many of which are even included on their university’s meal plan. For the starving college student, a $1 Big Mac seems like a much better economical option than a $5 salad.

Another factor coming into play with college weight gain is alcohol. One typical can of beer contains 154 calories. Of course, most students aren’t going to just drink one beer at a party, and that will add up to some serious calories (and a beer gut!).

The real myth is that it is impossible to eat healthy on a college budget. Even if you only have a mini-fridge and a microwave, you can still prepare nutritious and satisfying meals for yourself.

Here are some steps towards eating healthy on a broke college student’s budget:

1.)  Figure out your funds. Make sure you know exactly how much money you can spend each week on food and set it aside to use only on groceries.

2.)  Make a grocery list. An easy way to always have your list available and with you is by making it a note on your phone. On this list you should aim to include vegetables, fruits, whole grains (pasta, cereal, bread) and beans, first and foremost. Hummus, quinoa, whole wheat crackers, fortified plant milk (soy, hemp, almond, coconut, etc.), soy yogurt, granola, dried fruit, almond or peanut butter and granola bars are also healthy options to add. Seitan, tofu and tempeh are sources of protein that are available in a variety of forms to mimic meat products but are much healthier for you. Stick to your list and don’t be tempted by junk food when arriving at the grocery store. A good rule of thumb is to read the labels on food and don’t buy anything with an ingredient you can’t pronounce.

3.)  Plan out your meals in advance. If you already have an idea of what you’re going to eat before mealtime rolls around, you’re less likely to call and order a pizza, get Chinese takeout, fast food, etc. If you have a blender, an excellent way to make a quick snack or meal replacement is to make a smoothie! It also is a great way to sneak fruits and veggies in your diet. Kale, for example, is an excellent vegetable to add to smoothies when paired with your favorite fruits.

4.)  Choose wisely. After spending an unreasonable amount of money on textbooks, you may cry when looking at your bank account. It happens to all of us, don’t worry. When you’ve got only a couple bucks to spend for the week, pick a few healthy snacks (apples, bananas, granola, etc.) to buy to keep in your dorm to nibble on. In the meantime, your dining hall should have a variety of healthy options for you to choose from. You probably never even noticed the salad bar because you always went straight to the pizza and french fries!

Remember that it is perfectly fine to treat yourself once in a while. The worst thing you can do is to deprive yourself to such an extent that it consumes all your thoughts. That will lead you to craving it even more and going on an all out binge! The key is to limit sweets and processed junk foods and aim to eat clean 90% of the time. By minimizing processed foods and maximizing plant based foods in your diet, you will feel happier, healthier and have more energy. What stressed out, sleep-deprived collegiette wouldn’t want that?

Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!