5 Small Ways To Reduce Big Midterm Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s finally October and while there are tons of fun things happening this month, it is also the month of the dreaded midterms. We know that midterms can cause an overwhelming amount of stress in your already busy life so here are five easy tips on how you can reduce midterm stress.

1. Manage Your Time  

If you want to experience minimal stress during the hectic midterm weeks, cramming is a definite no. A lot of us have more than one midterm around the same time, so time management is an important tool to help keep the inevitable stress low. Plan study times for each class, take frequent breaks and make a to-do list to help you efficiently manage your time.

2. Take a Yoga Class

Did you know that the Cary Street Gym has a yoga class almost everyday with amazing yoga instructors and it is completely free with your student ID? Yoga is the ultimate de-stressor. Classes at the gym range from Gentle Yoga to intense Vinyasa Flow Yoga and they will only take an hour out of your study time while leaving you feeling fresh and de-stressed (plus yoga helps tone your body). Check out the class schedule on the Cary Street Gym website and find a class fits you!

3. Listen to Relaxing Music

Music can help you focus while studying and it can also calm you down. Find a super Zen playlist on Spotify, Pandora or 8tracks and let it play softly in the background while studying for your midterms. If you can’t listen to music while studying, reward your hard work with little music breaks. It will give you something to motivate you to keep going!

4. Think Positively

Don’t go into a study sesh with the mindset that you are going to fail the test; it will make you 10 times more stressed about it. Keep telling yourself that you are going to do great, and chances are you will. A positive mindset will ease your mind and lower your stress levels about midterms.

5. Deep Breaths 

Stop what you are doing when you are feeling super overwhelmed, close your eyes and take three deep, slow breaths, breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth while thinking positive thoughts. Repeat as many times as you need to minimize those mid-studying freak-outs we all go through.

Good luck collegiettes! 

Ivy Kenton is a freshman student at Virginia Commonwealth University living in the enchanting city of Richmond, Virginia. Originally from Great Falls in Northern Virginia, she loves living in such a diverse city environment because its so different from the white picket fences she is used to. She is currently undecided but wants to pursue a degree in Mass Communications with a minor in music. She loves to sing, go on long nature walks, shop, her kitten and being around her amazing friends. After college her dream is to live in a big city with a job in public relations and to have singing as a hobby on the side. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!