stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 UCF Resources That Can Help You be Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s hard to believe I’ve been a Knight for almost three full years now. The time has really flown by, but I still find myself getting hypnotized by the reflection pond. I love this school with all my heart, I couldn’t imagine going anywhere else. I’m still frequently discovering new things this great university has to offer. I’m very guilty of not utlizing all of the awesome resources that are available free of charge for students. Especially when classes start to feel overwhelming, it’s easy to begin to feel lost and alone. My go-to stress relieving activity has always been exercising. It’s hard to miss the giant gym and beautiful lap pool on the edge of campus, but the gym isn’t for everyone. Though there are a the variety options from the rock climbing wall to spin class, I have friends who still refuse to step foot in there. UCF has many other resources to help keep students feeling well mentally and physically, you just have to look beyond the surface. Here are three resources you might consider utlizing this semester. 

1. UCF Cares

It makes me feel proud to be a Knight knowing how much this university cares about the well-being of students. UCF Cares connects students to programs on campus that promote wellness, in addition to campaigns of their own. One of their latest campaigns is Bounce Back From Depression– and on their site there are action plans and videos to help anyone who is struggling with depression. The focus areas of UCF Cares include safety and well-being, respect, sexual violence, and mental health. To Knights, With Love is a series of events where students and facultly come together and read uplifting messages to show support and unite as a community. You can look up the dates and times for these events by visting the UCF Cares site. 

2. UCF Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) 

UCF offers free psycological services to enrolled students, which is amazing considering how much counseling can cost outside of school. After taking an initial assesment, students are directed to a service that will fit their needs, whether it be indivdual, group, crisis, or couples counseling. The help doesn’t stop there, CAPS also offers life coaching and online therapy assistance. There are counseling offices on UCF’s main campus, and the Rosen College of Hospitality and Managment. Where ever you are, UCF wants to be there for you during a time of need. Again, there counseling services are free-of-charge and there is no shame in wanting to reach out and talk to a professional. You can find out more about the services CAPS offers on their website.

3. UCF Wellness & Health Promotion Services (WHPS)

How in touch are you with your nutrition, body image, sexual wellness, and stress management? If you’re not sure about any or all of those things WHPS is here to help. There are a variety of unique workshops, including Journaling, where students can be creative in safe space and learn about themselves while simultaneously releasing any anxiety or frustrations. If you want to learn about how you can incorporate more fresh foods into your diet, check out the FreshU calendar to see when they’re having their next cooking demo. From learning how to Party Smart, to training yourself to relax, it is easy to see that UCF wants to help students in any way they can. Discover more about WHPS by clicking here.

These three great services all go hand-in-hand because they share a common goal: to help students be the best they can be. Whether you’re just looking to try something new or get through a rough time, you can turn to UCF. You’re never alone as Knight, and odds are, there are others on campus that are going through similar struggles or simply looking to better themselves just like you. 

Photo credit: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4

Jade is a junior Radio/Television major with a coffee addiction and may marry a bagel because she loves them so much. She's just your typical sorority girl that idolizes Beyonce, loves being by the ocean, and sharing Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake videos on Facebook because they are friendship goals. Jade loves cheering on her Knights, you can find her at every UCF home game. When life's a mess Jade wants to remind you that you can just pretend you're Olivia Pope and handle it. 
UCF Contributor