bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Reasons Why You Need to Buy a House Plant ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It has become a new trend to own little succulents and post edgy photos of them on Instagram, but have you ever stopped to really think about the benefits of owning a plant? Not only do houseplants jazz up your living space, but they also have numerous advantages for your health and well-being. Here are the top 7 reasons why you should buy a houseplant!

1. Plants produce clean air

Okay, this one is kind of obvious; plants take in the carbon dioxide that we breathe out and turn it into clean oxygen. Other plants such as peace lilies, bamboo and spider plants also help eliminate indoor pollutants.

2. Some plants have medicinal properties

Plants have been harvested for thousands of years because of their healing properties. Obviously, nowadays they don’t compare to modern medicine, but they still work for minor problems. Aloe vera, for example, is a pretty handy plant to have around because it helps soothe minor burns.

3. Having a bit of greenery gives a peaceful sensation

Honestly, living in downtown Ottawa in the winter can get pretty miserable. It’s freezing cold outside, the sky is grey and all the trees are barren. Coming home to a room full of luscious green plants totally lifts my mood! The greenery gives you a connection to nature which is humbling in its own way.

4. Houseplants help maintain humidity during dry months

Step aside humidifier! Plants lose most of their water through transpiration which adds humidity to homes in the drier months. Humidity helps fight dry skin, nose bleeds, itchy eyes and respiratory problems like asthma.

5. Caring for houseplants can improve your mental health

Taking care of something living gives you a sense of purpose. I know owning a plant doesn’t compare to owning a pet, but watching my plants grow over the years and flower in the spring makes me so much happier!

6. Plants help you work better

Believe it or not, studies show that people who keep houseplants in their homes or workplaces have better memory retention, better concentration and are more productive. This is great news for us uni students who spend hours studying every day. Simply adding a houseplant to your study area can greatly impact your work ethic!

7. Plants are beautiful and you deserve beauty in your life!

I read a quote once that said, “You are a beautiful person, you deserve a beautiful life.” Life can be tough, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t deserve better. Filling your surroundings with beauty and positivity helps reflect the positivity that you want to feel in your life.

I’ll wrap this all up by saying this: treat yourself! Houseplants are good for you, so go out and buy yourself a cute succulent when you’re having a bad day and indulge in the benefits that houseplants have to offer.

Source: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

SaveSave