Five Habits for a Healthier Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

1. Drink more water.

If you know me at all you know I say this all the time, but did you know that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated? You should try to drink between half an ounce to an ounce of water for each pound you weigh daily. Not only does drinking water make you feel more energetic but it can also boost your metabolism.

2. Take time out of your day to read something you enjoy.

I have come across so many people that say they don’t enjoy reading.. My only comment back to them is it’s because you haven’t gone out of your way to read something you enjoy! Even though you might look at reading as another burden for school, start researching your favorite sports players, motivational speakers, etc. You’ll be surprised with how easy it is to become interested in a book when you choose to read something you actually enjoy.

3. Add greens into your diet.

So many college kids have awful diets.. I know because I’ve been there before. Next time you’re tempted to pick up your favorite junk food at the grocery store grab some lettuce, avocados, and cucumbers instead. By adding one salad to your diet a day you will feel more refreshed and full. The good thing about it is you can eat as many greens as you want without worrying about calories!

4. Stop spending so much time on social media.

This one is extremely important. Teens spend over one third of their day on social media.. This is honestly sickening. Stop spending so much of your time seeing what everyone else is doing and go out and do something yourself! By eliminating social media slowly out of your life you’re bound to become more positive, less stressed, and less likely to compare yourself to others.

5. Don’t compare yourself to others.

Personally, I believe that this habit is the most important. With social media being so popular in our time period it is so easy to get caught up in other people’s lives. Want to know the truth? What people post on social media is very rarely real. People edit pictures, post only about the good things in their lives, and oftentimes post things that aren’t even real. Be happy in your own skin and realize that there is nobody out there that is just like you. Embrace your qualities and your flaws and cut out all things negative from your life.

Photos: 1

My name is Lilah Gagnon and I attend the University of Maine. I'm double majoring in Political Science and Sociology and plan to attend law school after graduating. In my free time I like to go to the beach, cook, and exercise.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.