bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Stages of the Flu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Flu season is back. Of course, the dreaded sickness makes its way at the most inconvenient time of the semester. Most of us know the horrors of having the flu and are explicitly familiar with the stages that come with it.

1. Denial

Everyone’s getting sick at school, but you have the most powerful immune system there ever was. There is no possible way you get sick. That cough was just because you had something in your throat.

2. Acceptance

Alright, so you’re sick. You get it. The coughing and the aches have reached the point of no return. The fever is only a few hours away. You know where this is headed.

3. Actual Death

Okay not really. But it really feels like it. 3 a.m. toilet-bowl hugging is not just a Friday/Saturday night activity. Does this really have to happen to you when you have an 8 a.m. so insanely soon?

4. Epiphany

You are finally starting to see the light! The three days of DayQuil, NyQuil, hot tea and Advil are coming to a close. You can actually think about eating food without your gag-reflex kicking in.

5. Nope.

GREAT so you feel like sh*t again. The bright moment of possible recovery has slipped away and you’re back in your bed of sickness finishing season after seasons of Friends on Netflix.

6. Actual Recovery

Wait, but it’s actually happening this time. After another couple days of rest and meds, you finally feel like yourself again. Food! Energy! Life! You can actually live your wonderful, crazy life while pounding orange juice and carrying hand sanitizer everywhere you go.

Get well soon, my sick collegiettes!

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.