6 Best Workouts for a Killer Booty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

This article is written by Marissa Heyer.

It is essential that these muscles stay strong. Not only do we want to feel confident rocking those short-shorts and leggings, but our thighs and glutes are also the home to some of our bodies’ strongest muscles. Time to make that booty work, Collegiette!

Cardio

Realistically, VERY few people actually enjoy running or any form of cardio. But it’s actually one of the most beneficial exercises we can do for our bodies. Whether it’s running on the treadmill, using the elliptical, or riding a stationary bike, cardio burns an insane amount of calories and targets the legs, specifically quadriceps and hamstrings, and butt. To challenge yourself and achieve a firmer booty, increase the resistance or incline of the machine to activate and strengthen those muscles!

Seated (or Standing) Calf Raises

This exercise is excellent for sculpting and creating sexy, toned calves. If sitting, make sure you are in a lengthened, upright position with your core tight and back straight. Raise your calves up and down while seated by going onto your tippy-toes and then back down; as your muscles get stronger, you may want to add weights on the machine for a more intense workout. If standing, maintain that tight core and straight back; hold dumbbells at your side, go up onto your toes and back down.

Single Leg Hamstring Curls

Hamstring curls are guaranteed to unleash your bodacious curves and tone your booty. This machine can be found at almost every gym and is super easy to use! While lying on your stomach, curl one leg up towards the center of your body to create a 90-degree angle. Then, while moving your leg away from your body, release your leg so that it straightens out and returns to starting position. Repeat as you feel necessary.  Make sure to do both legs!

Seated Leg Extensions

Tired of excess thigh jiggle? Have no fear ladies because this machine will be SURE to tighten up those quads. In seated leg extensions, have both legs at rest in a neutral 90-degree position. Then, swing both legs up to a fully straight position. Repeat as desired and feel the burn as your thighs firm up.

Barbell Lunges

Time to sculpt and tone up everything from your calves to your glutes! Rest the barbell on the back of your shoulders and lunge forward. Be sure to keep those abs tight and back straight. Alternate legs and repeat as needed; once you become an old pro, try adding some weight to give yourself more of a challenge!

Sumo Dumbbell Squats

Oh girl, do you even squat? Well now you can say YES! Keeping your chest out and back straight, hold a dumbbell between your legs, which should be a little more than shoulders width apart with your toes slightly pointed out. Push through your heels and squat LOW – the deeper the squat the better the butt ladies! As you improve, challenge yourself with Suspended Sumo Dumbbell Squats, as shown in the pic below.

Doing these exercises and maintaining a well-balanced diet throughout the year will be sure to give you a toned, sculpted body for the school year!

Photos Courtesy of Travis Sample (S.A.M.P.L.E. Training) and Women’s Health Magazine. 

www.travissample.com

Alex Horvitz is a junior at Tufts University in Boston, MA. She is double-majoring in Economics and Psychology and minoring in Communications and Media Studies. With a passion for beauty blogging, Alex is a contributing beauty blogger for Her Campus. Alex is a Co-President of Her Campus Tufts and she also worked as a Sales & Marketing Associate for Her Campus during the Summer of 2012. Email AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com with questions or connect with her on Twitter @Alex_Horvitz or LinkedIn!