This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

High school is certainly more than a convenient building in which to make out, dodge authority figures and become Homecoming Queen, despite what other teens (and our memories) may have told you. So what should we wide eyed teens have learned instead of Geometry and Magic the Gathering? As a young woman embarking on my own life journey, I’ve found many things that trip me on the way to “Big Girl Land,” things that I’m positive I should have learned in high school so I didn’t have to learn it the painful way.

1. How to Divide the Check at A Restaurant

Real World Math Class: You’re out to eat with five friends. If everyone ordered two appetizers to share, you ordered a $10 dish, and you only want to tip 15% how much of the $67 dollar check will you have to pay on your debit card in order to escape? (Editor/waitress’ note: if you’re in a six-top of college kids on a weekend night, tip more than 15%.)

Previous to ordering anything- yes I do mean anything- decide exactly how the check is going to be divided. I personally (after frustrating moments trapped at a dinner table feeling positive I’m getting ripped off) suggest going halfsies on appetizers or desserts and having everything else be separate.

2. Basic Repairs You Must Know To Survive

Real World Shop Class: You’ve woken up on an average Tuesday to discover your sink is coughing up a substance that makes you positive the previous owner stuffed a corpse in the pipes. Running the water only makes it worse and now that you think of it, should the dishwasher be making that clanking death-to-all-humans noise?

Learning to detach, clean, and reset your disposal is a life skill, as well as lighting the water heater pilot, changing a tire, and patching a wall. You will have to do all of these things at some point and it’s so much easier if someone competent walks you through it the first time so you don’t always have to pay a mechanic. Maintaining your living space is a necessity to survive in a world where you must pay out the nose for repairs, so save that panicked call for a real emergency.

3. Obesity Comes Swiftly to Those Who Can’t Cook

Real World Home Economics: It’s an undeniable fact that fast food is cheap and easily obtained. Waffle House has a dollar menu now, and the entirety of McDonalds can be bought with twenty bucks tops, but you’ve started to notice your pants don’t fit and you’re pretty sure you didn’t sweat grease before. Time to start cooking your own meals, because despite your best efforts, you surely can’t make something with more calories than a deep dish meat lover’s pizza from Dominos with triple cheese.

Learn to make three basic dishes; spaghetti, baked chicken on top of a veggie of your choice and scrambled eggs. If you learn to make these three basic meals you will not only fill yourself with relatively wholesome food, you’ll save money and smell less like cheese when you run.

Though high school classes were woefully short of these lessons, you can rest assured that when all else fails, your trusted adult friends are there to support you. And if that doesn’t work, Google it!

Photo Credit: CollegeDegrees360, Tax Credits, Snowpea&Bokchoi

Brittany Elizabeth, better known as Lizzie, is a student aspiring to major in Advertising who is feeding her love of writing with a minor in English and a place in HerCampus Magazine. Lizzie enjoys cooking, video games, reading, and cartooning.
Megan Fink

Southern Miss

Megan is a Junior at the University of Southern Mississippi. She's majoring in News and Editorial Journalism and Political Science. Her favorite publication is the Wall Street Journal, and she hopes to work as a war correspondent for the Associated Press.