Lumberjack Senior Taylor Todd Talks Yoga and Studies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

As a yoga instructor and lifeguard, SFA senior kinesiology major Taylor Todd helps fellow Lumberjacks work on their fitness and safety by promoting a healthy lifestyle.

Todd has now been a yoga instructor for two years and teaches several classes every Tuesday and Thursday. His selfless personality motivates him every class. “My passion for helping people find the value in themselves,” Todd said. He has the desire to guide others to a better lifestyle. A former yoga instructor in the Rec suggested he begin teaching his own classes, and soon after he began instructing.

He understands how stressful college life can be on students when it comes to balancing life away from home, classes, and finances. So many factors such as these lead up to students suffering with stress and anxiety. “I want people to learn that their strength comes from themselves rather than aesthetics,” he said. Todd tries to make every class a way for his students to release any negative energy and have them leave feeling more confident. He tells his students that a healthy self-esteem is important. “It’s okay to be comfortable without insecurities, accept your limitations and focus being comfortable with yourself,” Todd said.

Every class is unique. He wants everyone to have an experience and find a new area of comfort by getting out of his or her comfort zone. Mary Thi Bui, a junior, takes his class every semester. “Yoga helps me relieve so much stress from class and Taylor is such a great teacher,” Bui said. Todd also works as a lifeguard for the Rec’s pool and teaches water aerobics to expand his helpful hand. According to Todd, challenges are meant to be inspirational.

Balancing school and work can easily get overwhelming, but he manages to stay levelheaded. Students never feel like a burden to him even though they’re a part of his schedule. Courtney Busby, a senior, majors in kinesiology just like Todd and relates to his responsibility. “Taylor is so dedicated to being a student and a teacher. We take the same classes so I admire how committed he is,” Busby said. He’s always wanted to help people. Todd refers to his students and says, “if I can put some positive impact on their lives, you set the groundwork on your future and how it’ll play out.” In his spare time, he tries to swim every week or workout to relieve any stress.

If Todd isn’t teaching yoga he teaches water aerobics and is a lifeguard. Even though he works several jobs and is also a full time student, it doesn’t affect his mood because he has a passion for making people feel better.  “I try my best to meditate and find middle ground,” Taylor said, “my job doesn’t feel like a job to me.”

Todd wants to continue getting certifications to help people and find new things to enjoy while maintaining his mental, financial, and spiritual stability. His ultimate goal is to open up a clinic focusing on nutrition consultations. “I expect a lot out of life, I expect more out of myself.”

Hello, my name is Alayna Walker and I am a junior at Stephen F. Austin. I am a Radio/Tv Broadcasting major and I am minoring in psychology. My hobbies include reading, writing, working out and dancing.
Greetings, earthlings. My name is Natalie and I am a lover of all things non-routine. A senior Radio/TV Broadcasting major at SFA, I enjoy running races, Netflix & Hulu binging, and traveling on short weekend getaways that I convince myself I can afford. I serve as Her Campus SFA's Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief.