danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Reduce Fall Semester Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

1. Make sure you’re not overworked

Taking five classes and three labs, being a part of several activities, working a part time job or internship, and having a social life all together can be impossible – depending on how you’re doing it. There are only so many hours in a day, and it’s important to balance out your priorities. As much as college students may try to, you cannot make up for lost time by going without sleeping or eating. Whether it be dropping an unnecessary class, cutting down on time spent in a club, or going out with friends less, remember to balance your life to a more manageable schedule.

2. Take a nap

A life saver for some, unknown to many: the magic of naps are endless. We’re all exhausted and slightly more sleep deprived than we would like to be. If you know you can complete all of your upcoming assignments, and you have a spare moment between your crazy schedule, take a good one or two hour nap to catch up on rest and escape from the stressors of life for a bit.

3. Call a loved one

A call to your mom, best friend, significant other or sibling can work wonders. Pick someone you know you can vent to who will resolve whatever it is you’re feeling. Calling a toxic friend who will make you feel more stressed out or make the conversation about themselves will only make you feel worse. A good, long talk with a comforting person can really ease your negative emotions.

4. Indulge in comfort food

It’s okay to stop counting calories when you’re in the middle of a meltdown. You obviously shouldn’t do this all the time, since gaining weight will only add more stress to your life, but it can be very helpful in consoling any sadness you’re feeling right now. Remember to treat yourself!

5. Listen to your favorite song

Once. A couple more times… Who are we kidding, listen to it over and over again until you can no longer stand it! Whether it’s a comforting song for the fact that it’s uplifting, energetic, or soothing, listening to something you love will calm you for at least a few minutes between classes.

6. Exercise

Going for a good run, lifting, biking, or playing a sport is always a good release of any feelings of tension or aggression that you’re harboring. Not only that, but it’s healthy for you and will pay off in the long run!

7. Ask for help

If you’re feeling a lot more anxious or depressed than usual, can’t cope with the stress or anxiety you have, or you suffer from panic attacks or depressive thoughts due to your situation, you may need professional help. Thankfully, UCC is one option on campus that you can assess if you need extra help. They also offer information on other techniques you can use to deal with stress. Talk to them, another professional therapist, or a doctor. You need to take care of yourself in order to succeed!

Now get out there and accomplish what you came here to do!

Caitlin is a sophomore from Syracuse, NY. She is double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Language, Media, and Communications at the University of Rochester. She is the Publicity Chair of UR Celtic, has acted as both Social Media Manager and Business Manager of Her Campus, is an active member of the Inter-Class Living Community, and enjoys working as a Writing Fellow. When she's not busy with extracurricular activities or schoolwork, Caitlin can be found working at the Campus Mail Center, reading, and spending too much money at Starbucks.