Look Good, Feel Good, Workout Good: The Benefits of Fitness Gear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Whether you are a fitness guru, a recreational exerciser, or break out in hives at the thought of the gym, you probably have your eye on workout outfit. Given the recent transformation of workout clothes, who can blame you? While the main function of fitness gear is to absorb your hard earned sweat, this hasn’t stopped women and exercise companies everywhere from revamping their workout wardrobes.

Replacing Soffee and basketball shorts are new, thermodynamic-relfex-sweat-activated-chain-mesh-streamlined-musically-synced-etc. leggings. I’m not sure how all of these features can fit into one pair of 2 oz. Lu-Lu lemon leggings, but it surely is amazing.

Given that these clothes makes you look and feel like you belong in The Incredibles, is it any wonder these high-tech fitness brands are so popular? It’s a lot easier to motivate yourself to go to the gym when you look and feel like superwoman. But will dressing the part actually make you workout better? Will it increase your performance? Or are we all just falling victim to the ubiquitous powers of marketing?

As it turns out, this recent market for fashionable advanced workout clothing wasn’t completely fabricated by business tycoons. Studies have shown there is some psychological correlation behind getting decked out in fitness gear, and improving your performance at the gym.

Women’s Health Magazine points to the concept of “enclothed cognition,” a psychological phenomenon in which the clothes an individual wears has an effect on how he/she performs. This concept argues that if you dress like you’re prepared to pump some serious iron, or tick off sub 6 minute miles on the treadmill, you will be more motivated and more likely to get a better workout. 

It may be hard to believe that if we dress like Jillian Michaels, we will all be able to bench press our own body weight. However, looking into other studies done outside the gym, brings some validity to this concept.

A study at Northwestern University tested the impact that wearing a lab coat, as opposed to normal clothes, had on students’ attention to detail. The study’s results revealed those who wore the lab coat made half as many errors in picking out details as the students dressed in street clothes. Furthermore, when some of the subjects wearing a coat were told that they were actually wearing a painter’s coat their scores were significantly lower than those who were told they were wearing a doctor’s coat.

In this sense, those who felt that they dressed the part, performed up to the expectations of that role. But could this same concept carry over to the workouts?

In addition to psychological benefits, some workout clothes advertise that the technology in their materials can help improve athletic performance.

For example, Underarmour and Nike sell “heatgear” and “dry fit” clothing; styles lighter tighter fitting than the normal, baggy t-shirt. Companies design these clothing items to “wick sweat from your body,” meaning that sweat evaporates more easily. This evaporation regulates your body temperature and prevents overheating.  Along with these popular brands, many athletic companies offer variations of this technology, which can help to regulate your body temperature. This type of regulation can be extremely useful in sports requiring a lot of cardio, such as soccer, bicycling, running, and lacrosse to name a few. Additionally, this lightweight apparel is often more comfortable then bulky t-shirts and gym shorts. 

So now that you know the secret to workout success lies not only in the psychological aspects of “dressing the part” but also the technology of the clothing itself, you’re ready to hit the outlets before heading to the gym.

But where exactly should you be looking for those great new microfiber-tech-fit-leg-transforming-compression-sweat-wicking-and also very cute leggings? Check out these 6 new up and coming workout companies that make great clothing, and weren’t started by a CEO who believes in “the one size fits all, you should fit your body to the clothes not the other way around” concept (not to name any names…)

1. Athleta 

Inspires active lifestyles and promotes wellness, this brand has fitness clothes for almost every sport. It is also a partner with Girls on the run, a non-profit that encourages health lifestyles for adolescent girls.

2. Naked Sports Gear 

Despite the name, this company makes substantial, colorful, clothing. Perfect for warm-weather outside workouts, Naked Sport Gear tops and sports bras use unique technology to prevent unsightly tan lines (or sunburn lines).

3. Fabletics 

Kate Hudson designs for this activewear company. Once you sign up, the website will choose workout outfits for you based on your listed preferences.

4. Oiselle 

This fitness gear company makes great running clothes, and has a humanitarian side as well. 40% of all proceeds goes to the organization Every Mother Counts. While it may be on the more expensive side, knowing that your workout is going to a good cause can help justify the high price.

5. GapFit

Not to be overlooked, GapFit makes some quality, comfortable athletic gear that looks like the more popular brands, but is about half the price.

Sources 1, 2, 3

Also sourced: Adam, Hajo, and Adam Galinksy. “Enclothed Cognition.” Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 48.4 (2012): 918-25. Science Direct. 21 Feb. 2012. 

For more campus news and entertainment, like HCND on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Hannah Eckstein is a junior at Notre Dame from NJ. She's majoring in international economics and Spanish and minoring in international development. She fully considers herself a Jersey girl, and spends the majority of her free time at the beach. Despite a passion for athletics, she is hopelessly uncoordinated and therefor finds her athletic outlet in long distance running on the Notre Dame cross country and track teams. When she's not running or blogging, she is most likely doing yoga, attempting to learn the ukulele, baking, or watching Sherlock. In the future she aspires to write for a publication like Outside Magazine or National Geographic, become a yoga instructor, and learn to speak french.