This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Saige Tomczak

Year: Sophomore

Major: Human Biology – Lyman Briggs

Hometown: Bay City, Michigan

Tell us a little bit about what CHAARG is: CHAARG stands for Changing Health Attitudes and Actions to Recreate Girls. The organization’s aim is to help college-aged girls find their fit and become the best versions of themselves that they can be. This is a national organization with over 30 chapters (and still growing!) at universities all around the country. It is a great way to connect with other girls who are also passionate about bettering themselves, not only physically but mentally. At MSU, we get together twice a week, once for our studio spotlights,  where we either travel to a studio or an instructor comes in and teaches us, and another time for Small Group, when a handful of MSU CHAARG girls get together for a student led workout. Small Groups really help you get that community feel, like you aren’t just a little fish in a big sea.

When did you first hear about CHAARG? I first heard about CHAARG through Instagram – social media can do amazing things! They had the cutest inspirational posts, and when I first saw the national profile, it was in the midst of runCHAARG (one of our national events that all chapters partake in). It was amazing to see so many girls comment on the pictures with such uplifting words, especially in a world where it seems like all that girls do is tear each other down. That is when I was hooked and knew I had to become a member!

How did you become a part of CHAARG? After deciding that this was absolutely something I wanted to be a part of, I got my membership and the rest is history! CHAARG is fairly new on Michigan State’s campus (only three semesters old), and it is only getting bigger with time. I am proud to say that I have watched it grow over the past three semester from many viewpoints – member, executive board and now ambassador! I cannot wait to see what things next semester has in store.

What is your favorite thing about being in CHARRG? My favorite thing about being in CHAARG is the girls. Every one of them has such a great journey and a contagious attitude. The community that surrounds CHAARG is nothing short of phenomenal – I can go on Instagram any day of the week to find motivation to get through the rest of the day or post in our Facebook group about wanting to go try a new work out and have three girls join me. They all inspire me to be better every day, in all areas of my life. There is rarely a moment I am not smiling when I am around Michigan State CHAARG girls.

What would you tell girls that are thinking about joining CHAARG but aren’t quite sure? I would tell them that this is the best decision they will ever make! CHAARG is such an inclusive community, and no matter their body size, athletic ability or previous experience working out, they will be welcomed with open arms. They will discover there are so many other CHAARG girls going through the same things as they are. Soon, they will be able to love themselves and their body, just the way they are!

What else are you involved in on campus? A lot of my time goes to CHAARG and school, but I also have a job at the Breslin center and am in another organization called Volunteers Around the World. I will be traveling to Panama with Volunteers Around the World for a medical clinic in May!

What’s something interesting about you that people might not know? I have a pet bunny!

What are your career goals post-graduation? I hope to become a family practice PA and work with kids, while also encouraging them to be active.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian