6 Ways to Make the Best of Off-Campus Housing: MSU Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The chaos and simplicity of living in a dorm is cherished by some, while disliked by others. It can be a fantastic way to meet new friends and to become accustomed to the college experience. The convenience of being right on campus, only a small distance from most classes, is a glorious benefit of on-campus housing, especially on a huge campus like Michigan State’s.

However, for a majority of college students, the time comes when they decide to move off-campus. In fact, at Michigan State University, 61 percent of students live off-campus, according to data from US News in 2014. So, if dorm life has the convenience of location, a meal plan and more, one questions stands: How would one successfully ease into living off-campus?

1. Relish in your freedom.

At last, you shall have no fear of an RA knocking on your door during your evening shenanigans or for playing your music a little too loudly. Luckily, now you shouldn’t have to wake up in the morning to the seemingly endless noises of doors slamming, neighbors, vacuuming. You gain independence that you haven’t had before, and boy, it is an empowering feeling. There is no paid employee to live on your floor at your apartment or within your house off-campus to monitor your behavior. Rules are much less prevalent and college freedom truly begins here.

2. Embrace the new amount of space.

Transitioning out of the 12×12 cubicle-sized dorm room is liberating, once you gain more space in your house or apartment. Having a kitchen, living room, maybe even your own bathroom or bedroom, is a huge perk of living off campus. Now that you have much more room to work with, you can get into HGTV mode to make your space feel so much more comfortable. Borrow old furniture from family or friends, look online at Craigslist, or check out pages for MSU students, where students buy and sell furniture and more. Look at Pinterest for inspiration, and transform your new house or apartment into the college home you dreamt of while cooped up in that tiny dorm!

3. Paula Deen, is that you?

For some, it’s a painful separation from the caf, once moved off campus. For those like myself, it’s a wonderful transition from repetitive caf food to a kitchen filled with seemingly endless cooking opportunities. What’s for dinner tonight? Certainly not Brody pasta again, folks, and that’s okay—you’re in for something better (if you’re willing put in the work to cook). No more drooling over Tasty recipe videos on Facebook and Pinterest: it’s time to make those divine recipes ideas into reality. Make a grocery list (that you actually end up bringing to the store) prior to your grocery trip, and for your own sake, make sure you don’t go on an empty stomach. The quantity and quality of food bought can be significantly differed upon hangry grocery shopping; I can tell you that from personal experience.

4. Establish a good relationship with your landlord.

Although there will no longer be an RA at your apartment or house, there is still an important authority: a landlord. A landlord is a new, important figure in your life, as he or she has many legal responsibilities to you and vice versa. Communicate efficiently and respectfully with your landlord, as you definitely don’t want to start the school year off on the wrong foot. Be conscious of the terms of your lease to your apartment or house. This way, you cannot be taken advantage of by a potentially slimey landlord, and you’ll be even more confident in your new housing responsibilities. Pay your rent on time, read your lease, and all should be dandy!

5. Make sure you’re aware of your responsibilities—and your roommates’ as well.

The alluring freedom of an apartment or house comes with extra work, there is little chance in avoiding that. Managing and cleaning a space wasn’t much of a task in the dorms because of the tiny space. Now, there is more room to make messes in—like a kitchen with dishes, floors and counters that can be quickly dirtied. Establish an agreement with your roommates (early on) that lays down an order or process for how often cleaning should occur, what should be cleaned, who does the cleaning. This way, each roommate can be satisfied and on the same page about cleanliness. Decide who will have which utility bill signed in their name and how splitting the bills will go. “Digital wallet” apps such as Venmo make splitting bills efficient and simple.

6. Plan out your routes to class and your method of transportation.

The lack of close proximity to campus can be the biggest downfall for some off-campus students at Michigan State, simply because of the enormous size of the campus. Once your route is figured out and you decide if walking, biking, busing or parking on campus is the best for you, you will become accustomed. If you live with roommates and one or more has a car, carpool or split parking fees. If you find a bus route close and convenient to your class schedule, buy a semester bus pass and get to the stop with enough time in case the CATA is late. Walking and biking to class can be a relaxing way to take in the beauty of MSU’s campus and to stay in shape. Plus, as a walker, biker or busser, you don’t have to face the looming fear of PACE issuing you a parking ticket.

Find what works best for you— not for everyone else. Living off campus begins as a new challenge, but it can be so worth the extra responsibilities, once accustomed to the new lifestyle.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian