6 Things No One Tells You About Living in an Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Whether you decided to move out of the dorms as a sophomore or senior, it’s an exciting time — no RA, no rules, no restrictions. Living in an apartment definitely has its perks, but it isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Here’s what no one tells you about living off campus.

1. College apartments are not nice. Period.

You know that beautiful model apartment you saw when you toured? That’s a lie — 100 percent false. Unless you want to pay a ridiculous amount of money, your apartment isn’t going to be good. Get ready to make a lot of complaints to maintenance.

2. Furniture and decor is ridiculously overpriced.

The first time you go to Ikea, you will cry. Kiss those Pinterest boards and Tumblr pictures goodbye. It is truly depressing when you realize that there is no way you’ll be living in that magazine-esque apartment.

3. EVERYTHING COSTS MONEY.

You think you understand what living on your own entails until you go to Meijer and drop $150 in a half hour. From utilities to Uber, it all adds up.

4. So much trash all the time.

When you live with multiple people, your trash will fill up quickly. And no one wants to be the one to take it out — I mean, it’s not just yours.

5. You and your roomies will get annoyed with each other

You live together, and they’re like your sisters. It’s inevitable that you’ll get annoyed with each other. But it’s not the end of the world, you’ll get over it after a good Netflix binge.

6. There’s literally no room for anything.

Condensing four peoples’ stuff into one place results in a lot of crap and no room. You might want to take home your leftovers from half off apps, but then you remember there’s absolutely no room in the refrigerator. Don’t get me started on the tupperware situation.

No matter how annoying adulting can be, living with great friends and being independent is an adventure. Treasure these times, and live it up.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian