On Your Mark, Get Set!: Basic Guide To Marathon Training

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It is hard to comprehend with all of this snow still on the ground, but race time is quickly approaching for those of you who have committed to running a marathon or half this spring! Whether you are a beginner or already an avid runner, effectively training for a race is a huge undertaking and requires a lot of preparation. Many of you who have registered for spring runs like the Flying Pig in Cincinnati have probably already jumpstarted your training, so here are some valuable basic tips to keep in mind as you work to reach your goal.

Pre-Training:

Before you begin training, you should be able to run for at least 30 minutes without stopping. Distance is not important right now! Just spend a couple weeks getting your body used to running. Combinations of run/walks are great to use during pre-training because they ease your body into the exercise and minimize the chance of experiencing a running injury.

Training:

Your mileage should gradually increase each week with your longest run being 18-20 miles if you are doing a marathon and 10 miles if you are doing a half. Taper off in the final weeks leading up to the race to allow your body to recover from training. You want to be well-rested and strong for race day! It always helps to make a plan before you just jump in blindly, so establish a routine and do not stray from it. We advise you to utilize a pre-made training program like this one from Women’s Health to get in a groove that will produce encouraging results!

Find Fresh Motivation:

Running a long distance race is physically exhausting, but that is only half the battle; building mental stamina is also essential. It’s one thing to be motivated to begin your training, but it’s another to stay motivated every single day. Whether you have an extremely busy day or still feel fatigued from your last run, it is essential that you find ways to keep your eyes on the prize. To maintain a fresh routine, make new pump-up playlists every Sunday night to use throughout your week. You will be amazed what the power of a great workout playlist can do for your mood. Post little positive notes to yourself around your apartment or in your car that remind you what you originally set out to do and just how far you’ve come already. Or you could be like me and pretend you’re Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook and chase an imaginary Bradley Cooper around campus. But guys… it totally works.

Goals:

Finish time goals, weight loss goals, “just finish” goals…we all have a reason(s) for wanting to run a marathon. Whatever your goal(s) may be, never let them get lost in the midst of your semester. Make sure that the goal you make is personalized, realistic, and healthy. Remember: training is a personal journey and you should never compare yourself to anyone else.Find The Right Gear:

Training is going to be a huge part of your life for the next couple of months, so don’t be afraid to treat your feet to a good pair of running shoes. Your feet will thank you for investing. Make sure you also have a couple good pairs of Dri-fit apparel to switch in and out. It is important to have a variety that will keep you comfortable in different weather conditions. Go out and buy yourself a cheap running watch and arm band for your Ipod–these two items are practical must-haves that you will use on a daily basis.

Nutrition:

Okay listen up, ladies: Carbs are your new best friend. Yeah, you read that right. Complex carbohydrates supply runners with the energy that they so desperately need so don’t shy away from them during training. Adopting a diet that incorporates lean protein and complex carbs into every meal is ideal for those of you who need to fuel up for those long runs.

Don’t Forget To Cross Train:

Rather than running, do 30 minutes of cross training every other day of the week. Activities like swimming and biking are wonderful ways to elevate your heart rate. Trust me, you’ll have plenty of other days to run, so don’t worry about showing your elliptical some love.

Recovery:

Take recovery days to let your body relax equally as serious as your running days. Your body needs to rest between runs so it can recover from one run to the next, getting stronger between each run. Nutrition and eating the right foods at the right time also play a vital role in recovery.

Hydrate:

On runs of an hour or more, carry fluids with you and consume 6-8 oz. every 20 minutes. 

Hannah Harp

Miami (OH)

Hannah Harp is a senior studying Journalism and Psychology at Miami University. She is a co-editor, contributing writer, and photoblogger for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.