Moment by Moment: A Lesson in Mindfulness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Now that classes are in full swing, it seems like my life has become a long series of to-do lists. Whether it’s the post-it notes littering my desk, the reminder notes in my phone or even the quick memos scrawled in red ink on the palms of my hands, there’s always a next step, something else that I have to run and do. I know that I speak for a lot of college students, when I say that the stress of these constant demands can take a toll on our physical and mental health. Some days, I catch myself desperately missing summer days when I could kick back with all my friends in the sun or daydreaming about the distant future when I don’t have to worry about midterms and group projects. I have come to realize, however, doing this undermines all of the good things that are happening in my life right now. Despite all the troubles of day-to-day life, there’s so much that we should be more thankful for and aware of in every moment. We could all be more appreciative of our lives as is if we try to take on a perspective of mindfulness.

Mindfulness is defined as the mental state achieved by focusing on the present moment while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts and bodily sensations. Essentially, to be mindful is to be aware of exactly what is going on in your head and heart moment by moment and to take the time to appreciate each little thing as it comes and goes. It may seem like a silly or capricious concept, but practicing mindfulness offers many advantages that could benefit busy college students. For example, taking life on by moments allows you to take satisfaction in all of life’s simple pleasures, to be fully engaged and focused in what you’re doing, and to help you handle adversary calmly. In addition, there are some physical benefits, such as more restful sleep, stress relief and reduced anxiety and depression.  

Given the potential benefits, it could not hurt to try slowing down and attempt mindfulness, even if it is for just a few minutes a day. There are several easy things that all of us can do each day to help us reach a state of mindfulness:  

Meditation— Find a peaceful, secluded space where you can relax in the quiet. Get comfortable, close your eyes, and take deep breaths in and out. Clear your mind and focus on how each inhale and exhale feels. If you want a little extra guidance, there are tons of guide videos online that will walk you through the meditation process step by step.

Concentration— When we are so busy all the time, it’s hard to truly appreciate all of the simple pleasures that manifest themselves in our daily lives. The simple solution is to immerse yourself in what each moment has to offer. Take a few minutes to pay attention to the stimuli all around you (sights, sounds, smells, tastes, etc.) and whatever you are feeling physically. Let emotions come and go without judgement. The key is to not overthink anything, but to feel everything authentically and fully without giving it complex meaning.

Live in the present— This one is the hardest to do because time is a tricky thing to navigate. The past is important because all of our experiences have developed us into who we are, but it’s easy to get tangled up in nostalgia as well as negative thoughts about what could’ve been, things that we cannot control anymore. Similarly, it’s practical and exciting to dream about the future and all its possibilities, but planning out every minute detail can be stress inducing. In addition, we cannot control the future no matter how hard we try, which makes worrying an exercise in futility. From a perspective of mindfulness, it is best to reflect upon and find contentment in all of the blessings that we have in the present. Happiness isn’t something that exists purely in the past and it certainly isn’t something that we have to wait on, either. Happiness is something that’s in our reach right now, and all we have to do is smile, take in a deep breath, and latch onto it. 

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy