This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

The weather is finally starting to get nice again and all any college student wants to do is spend time outside. That makes this the perfect time to start running! “But, I’m not a runner,” you might say, “I can’t just start.” But you totally can! I’ve got some tips to help anyone become a runner — even if you think you’re out of shape!

1. Alternately walking and running is the best way to start.

I highly recommend the Couch to 5K program — I had never attempted to run before I tried out this app this past summer and I give it all the credit for me now being able to consistently run several miles. It starts you out with alternately running for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds for twenty minutes. Over the 9-week program where you run three times a week it slowly builds you up so that you can run a 5K (3.1 miles). When I first looked at the schedule, I didn’t think I’d ever be able to run for three minutes straight, let alone a half hour, but sure enough I’m quite able to now! You can download it as a free app that will alert you every time its time to start running or walking, or you can just look on its website for the schedule.

2. Commit to an organized run.

Hand in hand with the Couch to 5K Program, you should actually sign up for a 5K! That way, you’re committed to getting yourself in shape to do the run, and you’re less likely to quit. Once you pay the registration fee, you’re not going to want to lose your money by backing out. Plus, an organized run is such a fun thing to do — it’s much more exciting than running by yourself, there are tons of cool courses you can run on (my mom and brother once completed one on an airplane runway!), and you’re going to feel an amazing sense of accomplishment once you finish.

3. Make a schedule.

If you want to start running, you have to pencil it in to your schedule. We’re all busy college students, and it’s super easy to blow off a run if you think you have too much homework or if you’d just rather catch up on Netflix or take a nap. However, it becomes much harder to make excuses not to run if you pencil it in to your schedule. No matter how busy you are, I can assure you that you can find half an hour of free time where you can go for a quick run around campus or on the gap trail. If you write in your schedule that you’re always going to run after your last class on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, for example, you’ll be much more likely to follow through. 

4. Find a running buddy.

This one is optional, but it can definitely make running much more enjoyable! If you want to get into running, why not convince a friend to start with you? You guys can encourage one another, hold each other accountable, and entertain one another while you’re on the run. If you’re busy catching up with your friend, it’ll help take your mind off of how much you want to quit!

5. Make a motivating playlist.

Whether or not you choose to run with a friend, music is the best way to pump yourself up for a run. One of the best things about running on Kenyon’s campus, especially if you’re just doing a loop around campus, is that it’s all on Wi-Fi. That means you can make a Spotify playlist and even if you don’t have Premium, you can use it on your run! Your favorite upbeat songs are just the motivation you need to finish that last mile. (Check out Inês’s KAC playlist or Jessica’s tips on how to make your own workout playlist if you need ideas!)

6. Don’t get discouraged.

Running is hard, and even those who do Marathons say that it never exactly gets easy. However, it does get easier. When I first started running, I thought I was going to pass out after running for five minutes straight and now I can regularly run for thirty. You’ll slowly build up the muscle and stamina you need to keep going, and if you keep working at it, you’ll be able to accomplish more and more miles. Also, it doesn’t matter how fast you go. If you want to eventually work yourself up to winning races, that’s great, but when you’re just starting out don’t get discouraged if you feel like your pace is slow. Mine is still super slow. But unless you’re on a track team or training for the Olympics, it really doesn’t matter how fast you go, it just matters that you’re doing it.

7. Have fun!

Finally, remember that running is something you want to do. It’s not always the most fun experience while I’m running, but I always feel amazing and accomplished after I finish. And sometimes, you will have those runs that just feel great while you’re running them. Enjoy being outside, enjoy the weather, and enjoy the freedom of not having to think about homework or classes or friend drama for the time that you’re running. Enjoy getting out any pent up aggression and enjoy feeling kind of like Superwoman. Running is an amazing thing that we can do, so revel in your ability!

With these tips, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a fantastic runner! It’s honestly an incredible experience training your body to run further and further distances, so take advantage of the amazing things that you are able to do!

Image credits: Rebecca Frank

Rebecca is a senior English major and American Studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She is from Alexandria, Virginia and has written for Her Campus since freshman year.