Open Letter to the Stressed Out Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Stress and Anxiety: Two words that many college aged students use to describe their lives with. A 2008 survey on college students done by Associated Press and mtvU had discovered that 80% of students frequently or sometimes experienced daily stress while 34 percent felt depressed within the previous three months. Stress and anxiety is not a laughing matter, especially for our generation. We all stress over a variety of things; some may be huge such as how we are going to pay for our tuition bill or textbooks, how we’re going to juggle a job and an overloaded schedule, or how you’re going to finish this 20 page paper in the matter for two days. Some may be a bit more trivial, such as how to handle your obnoxious roommates, how to deal with an impossible professor, or trying to figure out how to fix your computer that just turned off and died on you (trust me, it’s harder than it looks). We all get caught up in the moment of these stressful situations that we never think to step back and take a deep breath to collect our thoughts. Here are a few great ways for the next time you’re blowing stem out your ears.

1)      Sing or listen to your favorite song: For me, driving gives me extreme anxiety, especially when it’s my five hour drive in the snow going back to school. By listening to my favorite bands and musicians, I’m able to relax and think clearer instead of focusing my thoughts on the scariest “what if” scenarios while driving. Blasting old songs from high school days always help alleviates my anxiety.

2)      Play up the colors: Some people are very visual, and seeing bright and welcoming colors are lift their mood instantly. Adding a splash of color, such as a bright poster, a few sunflowers and tulips, or even just a bright blue rug can help alleviate your stress.

3)      Light a candle: Find a candle scent that makes you feel relaxed and comfortable. Many swear by the scent that lavender and chamomile is relaxing, but I personally enjoy warm vanilla or sugar cookie scents. Bath and Body Works along with Yankee Candle are always my favorite places to buy candles

4)      Go outside: My mother always said being cooped up inside can stress a person out, and I definitely agree with her. Take a few minutes to open your windows and let some light in, or if it’s nice out go for a walk and take in the sunlight. Getting a breath of fresh, crisp, air can help you relax and clear your mind

5)      Take a hot bath: Be a kid for a few minutes and fill your bathtub with warm water, bubbles, and don’t forget to light a few candles as well. Check out the Lush bathbombs if you want to get extra fancy and let yourself relax for twenty minutes. Adding essential oils to your bath water can calm the mind while herbal baths are great to soothe tension. Try out lavender oils in your next bath, or even add a few herbs such as rosemary and milk thistle to the water.

6)      Shut your phone off: Seriously. Do it. You will thank me. Social media, boyfriends, girlfriends, and nagging parents can dampen your mood. By shutting off, or at least setting your phone aside for a few hours can really help your mood and allow you to focus on whatever tasks you need to get done.

7)       Reorganize your space: Clutter, small space, and an untidy room ALWAYS adds to my stress. If I’m attempting to do homework and I see a bunch of laundry on the floor it just averts my attention away from my work. By rearranging your room and creating more open space and even tidying up any mess that’s around can really help clear your mind.

8)      Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize!: I cannot explain how important agendas, lists, and planners are! Stress can be caused due to the lack of control and feeling under pressure. If you learn to plan, organize, and prepare yourself, there won’t be feelings of anxiety due to pressured deadlines. I always carry my planner with me and use the Sticky Notes app on my laptop to write out what homework I need to complete for the day.  

9)      Keep a journal: writing down how you feel, what stresses you out, and the times of the day you get stressed is a great mechanism to solve your anxiety cues. Writing is also a great way to vent without having to share information with another person, which could lead to drama and gossip. Journaling about the things that you are grateful for and love about yourself is another great tool.

10)   Eat well: studies have shown that consuming sugary snacks overly processed foods can increase a person’s anxiety symptoms. Eating a well-balanced diet with whole grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy, and protein can enhance your positive mindset. Whole grains are known to regulate the “feel good” hormone serotonin, which can help us remain calm. Next time you’re stressed with a deadline, ditch the can of soda and cookies and grab a slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter on it and a glass of milk. 

Hey everyone! My name is Tabitha and I'm currently a junior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Growing up with a bodybuilding father and a twinkie/brownie loving mother, the topic of food always ricocheted off the walls in my home. Living with two people who followed two different lifestyles sparked an interest in food, which led to my passion of nutrition and choosing the major of Nutrition-Dietetics track. When I'm not online scoping out new recipes and health articles I can be seen lifting at the gym, online shopping on my porch, or enjoying dinner with some great friends.