Janine Gaspari: Student Activist and Community Organizer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

For college students, it can be so easy to get wrapped up in school work, jobs and career development among the other billion things we have going on. At the same time, it’s important to stay informed about what goes on with our college administration, policies and the overall events taking place on campus outside of the direct student realm.

Janine Gaspari is a junior at Mason who is passionate about “equal access to equitable education.” She is currently the President of Transparent GMU and is also involved with GMU Student Power. Both organizations work to bring justice, affordability and access to college students nationwide.

JG: “My work with both campaigns intersects because of the increasing corporatization of higher education has resulted in an increase in secretive donations to universities, as well as skyrocketing tuition rates.”

Currently, Gaspari is leading a “historic” lawsuit against Mason and its donor organization, the George Mason University Foundation. She and other members of Transparent GMU are concerned about what agreements between Mason and groups such as The Charles Koch Foundation, one of Mason’s largest donors, entail.

JG:  Our case was heard by Judge John M. Tran in the Fairfax County Circuit court in September of 2017. In the second oral hearing on October 26th, 2017, Judge Tran referred to this case as “historic”.

The students have reason to believe that such large donors may have access to controlling university curriculum, hiring faculty and administration. This has been seen at other institutions like Florida State University.

The lawsuit between Transparent GMU and the university became apparent after the university, as well as the foundation, denied students access to the official donor agreement documents.

Related: George Mason Students Have Their Voices Heard in Richmond

While she leads the fight for transparency and justice for students, Gaspari encourages other students to get involved and informed.

JG: Transparent GMU is awaiting our trial date on April 24th. An easy way to show support is to come and pack the courtroom on April 24th to show support. It’s a short walk down the street from GMU!

After Gaspari started her journey as an organizer in her freshman year at Mason, her life changed for the better. Becoming a student activist has opened many doors and has brought her closer to the work she wants to do when she graduates.

JG: “I hope to continue organizing in the future. Becoming an activist and a community organizer has been life changing. I have had the pleasure of connecting with so many amazing people, hearing stories and learning new skills by doing this work. I am grateful to consistently feel like I am part of a larger movement and larger community.”

She also recognizes the responsibility she holds as a leader and an activist:

JG: “I recognize that I am privileged to be a student at George Mason University– the fact that my ability to be a student is a privilege, and not a right is why I am a community organizer.”

You can get more involved with Gaspari’s organizations and follow their lawsuit through social media.

GMU Student Power meets Mondays at 5:30 pm in the ODIME MPR.

Transparent GMU meets Mondays at 7 pm in JC Room D.

*All images couresy of Janine Gaspari

Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com