This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Everyone has heard about it but its rare that anyone knows what’s really going on and what to do when it’s actually happening. Since Eating Disorders Awareness Week begins on the 27th of February, I think it’s time we cleared some things up. 

Eating disorders are mental illnesses that materialise when there are changes in eating habits; this consequently leads to a change of appearence. Some of the most common eating disorders are the Binge Eating Disorder (when a person eats everything edible in sight in a very short period of time), Bulimia (where one overeats it and then try to get rid of it by throwing up), and Anorexia (where one skips meals to the point where they don’t eat at all).  

I’m saying it again, just because people tend to forget: it’s a mental illness. Just because a person is not paper-thin doesn’t mean they don’t have an eating disorder.

Another thing that’s easily forgotten: men can have it too. According to research, about every one in ten affected by an ED (‘eating disorder’) is male. EDs are not specific to a teenage girl in crisis; it can be a child, it can be a grandmother, it can be anyone who has ever had a body-oriented self-esteem issue that other people poked at. Sometimes all it takes is being called fat and trying to ‘fix it’.

How can you tell somebody suffers from an ED?

Look for stress, dark circles under the eyes, and mood swings. Try to pick up on any dramatic changes in ther eating habits. For Binge Eating and Bulimia, it is common that large amounts of food disappear quickly. A bulimic person usually leaves the table straight after eating to get rid of what has been consumed, but it’s not easy to make yourself sick. Since most builimic people use their fingers there might be teeth marks left on the back of their hands. They are also known for losing and gaining weight quickly and having problems with their teeth and esophagus (gastric juices are no good for these two). 

Anorexia usually starts slowly, with what may seem like an improving diet— crossing out the stuff that’s greasy, fatty, and high in sugar. It usually doesn’t stop there. Eventually, the diet narrows down to basically nothing. Instead of eating, they roll the food around the plate, say they aren’t hungry or that they’ve already eaten. Mentioning the mental part of ED again— anorextic people are ashamed of their bodies and may attempt to hide in baggy clothing. Also, their hormones are completely out of order so they become more sensitive and are prone to mood swings.

There are also many lesser known but wide spread disorders. Some of these include muscle dysmorphia (when one thinks they are too small and skinny so they start working out and change their diet), orthorexia (where one avoids unhealthy food and only eats ‘pure’ foods), and diabulimia (where one controls the levels of insulin in your blood to lose weight).

When should I get help?

Immediately— even if they beg you to not tell anyone. People can die from malnourishment and from strains on the body; there’s also the possibility that they may commit suicide due to their mental health problems. If theya live the rest of their lives with health issues they may slip from one disorder to the other. Get help. You could save a life (or your own).

Where do get help?

If you’re not sure if what you’re witnessing or experiencing is an eating disorder and you don’t want to tell anyone,  I encourage you to go tell someone you trust anyway. Also, Google is your friend. You may try here and here. Talk to people on campus like the ones at FXU Health & Wellbeing. You could also tell your parents or a trusted teacher. Again, you could save a life.

Fandom-obsessed, writing-possessed book lover from the Czech Republic.