This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

There’s nothing like whipping up a delicious holiday treat! Considering giving some of these Her Campus at Emmanuel team favorites a try…

Hannah Lynam’s Favorite: Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries

INGREDIENTS

• 10 oz Maraschino Cherries
  • 2 tbsp softened Butter
  • 1 tsp Corn Syrup
  • 1 tbsp liquid from Mariaschino Cherry
  • 1/2 tsp Invertase
  • 1 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
  • 12 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate

DIRECTIONS

1. Remove cherries from liquid and place on paper towel lined sheet to drain.
  2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Combine butter, corn syrup, 1 tablespoon of liquid from cherries and invertase.
  4. Stir until blended.
  5. Gradually add powdered sugar. Mixture should come together and not be too sticky.
  6. Form into i/2″ balls and flatten. Place a drained cherry in the middle and wrap to completely cover cherry. Roll to round out ball. Return to prepared sheet.
  7. Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
  8. Melt chocolate by microwaving fo 45 seconds, stirring and repeating until smooth and melted.
  9. Dip balls in chocolate with a fork, shaking off excess and return to prepared sheet.
  10. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to set chocolate.
  11. Use a knife to carefully trim excess chocolate from candies.
  12. Place in sealed container and allow to sit for a week or so for invertase to liquify sugar.

Link to full recipe: http://cincyshopper.com/chocolate-covered-cherries-recipe/

Jess Tartaglio’s Favorite: Hungarian Cookies

INGREDIENTS

• 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup additional flour (to prevent sticking during rolling)
  • 2 (12-ounce) cans cake and pastry filling (see notes)

DIRECTIONS

Prepare the dough: 

1. Whisk the 2-1/4 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
  2. Beat the cream cheese and butter together at medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until very smooth and creamy.
  3. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour-salt mixture slowly, mixing just until combined. The dough will be quite moist, but not sticky.
  4. Turn the dough out onto a sheet of lightly floured wax paper and flatten into a square about 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 4 equal pieces and wrap each separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, a minimum of 2 hours.

Assemble the cookies: [Makes about 5 dozen]

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and position a rack in the center of the oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Remove one portion of the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a well floured sheet of wax paper. Dust the top of the dough with flour and top with another sheet of wax paper. Roll the dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness. You should end up with about a 10-11″ square.
  3. Remove the top sheet of wax paper and trim dough into a square with a pastry wheel or sharp knife. Cut the square into fourths lengthwise and crosswise to get 16 squares. (Save your scraps for re-rolling.)
  4. Working as quickly as possible, place about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of filling in center of each square. Pinch together two opposite corners in the center and fold that “point” over to one side and smooth down very gently. This helps to prevent the cookie from popping open as it bakes.
  5. Arrange cookies 1-1/2 inches apart on the parchment lined sheet. Bake until lightly golden, about 12 to 14 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minute, then carefully transfer to cooling racks. Repeat the process with the remaining 3 portions of dough, using different filling flavors if desired.
  6. Store between layers of waxed paper in a tightly closed container and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature (30 minutes out of the fridge), arrange on a plate and dust lightly with powdered sugar just before serving. It’s not advisable to top them with powdered sugar before storing.

Link to full recipe: https://www.mygourmetconnection.com/recipes/baking-desserts/cookies/hungarian-kiffles.php

Gianna Mangiarelli’s Favorite: Magic Cookie Bars

INGREDIENTS

• 2 cup (12 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
  • Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
  • 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 1 1/3 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs

DIRECTIONS

1. HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
  2. COMBINE graham cracker crumbs and butter in small bowl. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with fork.
  3. BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Loosen from sides of pan while still warm; cool on wire rack. Cut into bars or diamonds.
  4. VARIATIONS
  5. SUBSTITUTE chocolate chips or nuts with candy coated pieces, dried cranberries, raisins, mini-marshmallows or butterscotch chips.
  6. For perfectly cut cookie bars, line entire pan with foil, extending foil over edge of pan. Coat lightly with no-stick cooking spray. After bars have baked and cooled, lift up with edges of foil to remove from pan. Cut into bars.

Link to full recipe: http://www.eaglebrand.com/recipe-detail/magiccookiebars-3934

Temma Beaudreau’s Favorite: Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup (120 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (120 mL) unsalted butter or vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
  • 2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
  • 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (50 g) powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cocoa, granulated sugar and oil on medium speed. Reduce the speed to low and add 1 egg at a time until combined. Mix in the remaining ingredients in the order listed, for the exception of the powdered sugar. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and coat with powdered sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
  3. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to rest on the hot cookie sheet for one minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Link to full recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/chocolate-crinkle-cookies/2/

Christina Listro’s Favorite: Jam Thumbprint Cookies

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 ounces (or so) assorted jam (strawberry, blackberry & peach are favorites)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
  2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract. Mix in flour and salt until incorporated and dough comes together in a ball.
  3. Form dough into 1-inch balls and arrange on prepared baking sheets. Flatten balls slightly with your thumb or the back of a small spoon, leaving an indentation in the center.
  4. Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or until bottoms are just barely golden. Remove baking sheet from oven. If indentations look shallow, further define them with the back of a spoon and then fill each with approximately 1/2 teaspoon jam.
  5. Bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until jam melts slightly and edges of cookies are lightly golden. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.

Link to full recipe: http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2013/12/jam-thumbprint-cookies.html

Happy Holidays! HCXO

Her Campus Emmanuel
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.