Switch It Up: Fitness Tips to Change Up Your Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

A progress plateau- every fitness junkie’s biggest fear. Nothing is worse than working hard to reach your fitness goals, only to stop seeing results after a few months. So, to prevent this annoying roadblock in your fitness journey, don’t be afraid to change up your routine. Here are 15 tips for better results: 

1. If you’re big on cardio (running, swimming, eliptical), try jump-roping!  It’s crazy intense, and you burn more calories per minute than you would runnng on a treadmill. Also, it helps develop your balance and coordination! 

2. To get a more intense glute workout, try out jump squats.  These target the muscles and connective tissues buried deep in your body. Then hit the stair climber to burn fat! 

3. Use the weekends as an opportunity to get in fun forms of exercise instead of heading to the gym! Try a bike ride around the beach, surfing, kayaking, or even playing soccer in the park. 

4. Make sure that you’re eating food to sustain your exercise routine. Pre and post workout snacks are great for increasing your body’s energy and recovery! 

5. Change up the frequency of your workouts often. Add an additional day of cardio, and split up your lifting days to focus on specific muscles. 

6. Up the intensity of your workouts. Lift heavier, or up the resistance on the eliptical. 

7. If you’re too tired to make the long trek to the gym, do an at home workout. There are easy, short, intense workout videos you can find online! By doing this, you stay on track with your progress! 

8 When planning meals, make sure you are eating a balanced meal. To work out and make progress, you need energy! Eat a balanced amount of Carbs, Fats, and Protein! 

9. Everyone wants abs, and sit-ups typically won’t get you them. Try oblique cruch planks, bosu ball bicycles, and reverse crunches to get a fat-burning abdominal workout. 

10. Most importantly, stay motivated! Keep track of your fitness goals, and even start a fitness journal. With a journal, you can review what you have been doing so far, and find what needs to be changed in your routine to lift the plateau on your progress! 

No matter what, appreciate your dedication to your body and health. Be proud of what you have accomplished, and don’t give up!