Worry Stones: Rub, Pinch, and Squeeze Your Stress Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It is time for midterms again. This means studying hard for tests, last minute coordination of group projects, and over-thinking those last few words in our essays. This stress knocks us off our usual rhythm, and it can be easy for us to become an anxious knot of nerves.  

However, this is when it becomes most essential for us to give our stressed brains a break. Our brains receive information from sensory and intellectual channels. We receive information with our senses, like touch or sight, and then our brain makes sense of these signals. A good way to relieve stress is to keep our sensory inputs busy. This is why physical activities can be so helpful in keeping us calm. Using worry stones is a simple way to do this.

Worry stones (stress stones, palm stones, thumb stones, or pocket stones) are usually smooth stones with an indented center where you can rub or pinch the stone between your thumb and pointer finger. I got the idea to use worry stones senior year in high school when I saw one of my friends playing with play-doh in class as a way to deal with anxiety. Now I use worry stones to help with nervousness before presentations, interviews, or any stressful situation really, and to keep myself awake and alert in class. Worry stones work like stress or therapy balls. You use the contraction and relaxation of the muscles as a way to get your mind off whatever is bothering you, and to use up any anxious energy you have.

Worry stones are unique in that they are natural elements that some believe hold special meanings that can be transferred to their holders. For example, it is believed that rose quartz is the stone of love and can be used for healing purposes. Worry stones can also be inscribed with a picture or mantra that helps you relax.

Practicing mindfulness and grounding yourself in stressful situations is a powerful thing. So, take time in the next few weeks to use some of these relaxation techniques to keep your mind, body, and soul healthy:

• Relax with worry stones
  • Go for a walk, take a breath of fresh air, and be in nature
  • Hug someone
  • Color in a coloring book
  • Take a shower or bath
  • Meditate and relax
  • Talk and laugh with family and friends
  • Pet a dog (or pet of your choice)
  • Exercise
  • Listen to music, watch a movie, or read a book
  • Take a moment to remind yourself why you chose to be here, and remember that “this too shall pass.

Meghan is a third year Anthropology and Geography major at Cal Poly.
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.