This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.
Ok, so we’ve all read the signs, and we know the rules, you can only sign up for one 30-minute time slot at a time on the cardio machines. But, let’s be real, if you’re putting in the time and effort to schlep yourself to Dodge, you’re looking for more of a 45-minute cardio session. I mean, I know that after 30 minutes on an elliptical is when I hit my stride, when I start to feel like nothing can stop my groove…except the next person who taps my shoulder or coughs loudly to inform me that it’s their turn to workout. Nobody wants to be that person. So, you slink off your machine, wipe it down and give a weak smile to the person you just relinquished your elliptical to. It’s not fun, but there are ways to avoid this scenario.

The golden rule of entering Dodge is to sign up for a machine the moment you pass through the turnstile. Check the time so you can allot yourself a buffer if you want to stretch or do some weights before you hop on the machine. Also, flip to the next sheet if all the top floor machines are full, the bottom level tends to have more availability. Now, to get around the cursed 30-minute rule… For one, I have never seen someone check the sign in sheet, so go with your bad self and sign yourself up for two slots. If you feel nervous about getting caught, or breaking the rules, just use your middle and last initials (or another variant) for the second slot. This way, you can fit in your optimal workout without worrying when someone is going to kick you off. 

Another thing to watch out for that can severely cramp your workout style are the PE classes that go on during the week that close off the bottom level of the 
cardio equipment. Be sure to check the building schedule so you can plan your best workout. The schedule is available at: http://www.dodgefitnesscenter.com/?DB_OEM_ID=9600 

Let’s face it, Dodge is no Equinox, but hopefully these little tips and tricks will make your experience there a bit more pleasant. (Sorry there’s nothing i can do to help with that #awkwardmoment when you have to ask an adorable old man to get off your machine.) 

*image via 8minuteabsworkout.net
Lilli Balik

Columbia Barnard

As a kid, I was constantly around body builders and fitness models, something brought on by my parents. I was born and raised in the fitness industry in beautiful Southern California, and I was picking up dumbbells and drinking protein shakes before I can remember. But, college brings its own set of fitness challenges, and I'm here to help you navigate through them!