Questions You Shouldn’t Ask a Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

If you’ve ever been in a group of about ten people, statistically speaking, one is a vegetarian. Having been a vegetarian for three years now, I’ve found a spectrum of reactions to my fairly common diet, ranging from “OMG how are you even alive right now?” to “That’s great and all, but I don’t really care…?” Easily the most annoying of these responses is The Interrogation. There’s a set list of questions all non-vegetarians seem to have compiled just to frustrate their veggie loving friends. Below is a list of ways to satisfy your curiosity about the vegetarian lifestyle, so you can avoid being accidentally annoying or insulting in the future.  

1. “So… you’re a vegan?”

By definition, no. A vegan won’t eat any food produced by animals, including not only meat, but foods such as yogurt or honey. Vegans also won’t use or wear products made from the exploitation of animals, for example wool or leather. A vegetarian can eat dairy products all he or she wants, and is free to wear any materials made by animals. There are even some vegetarians who will eat fish, called pescatarians.  

2. “What can you even like, eat?”

A lot of things, actually. Besides the obvious fruit and vegetables, vegetarians can eat breads, pastas, dairy products, pretty much anything you could think of that doesn’t include meat. Because so many people are vegetarians or vegans (13% of the American population), a lot of companies make quality meat substitutes that taste equally as good as the real thing. Soy products and tofu products are a great way for vegetarians to get proteins their diet is lacking and often taste delicious, despite their negative reputations.

3. “But like… what about bacon?”

Bacon, surprising though it may be, is a meat product. By default, vegetarians do not eat bacon. But somehow we manage to survive.

4. “Why would you do this to yourself?”

This one can be very personal, and I often find it’s posed in offensive language. Phrasing like this is akin to sneering at a person’s tattoo and asking “why would you get that?” Not cool. Being a vegetarian is a choice someone makes about their body; it’s not your place to question them about it. If you’re honestly, innocuously curious, pose the question in a polite manner. That way, it doesn’t feel as though you’re attacking a decision your friend has made in regards to their health.

People are vegetarians for a number of reasons. From religion, to protest, everyone has their cause. But interrogating your friends about the choices they’ve made can be both annoying and insulting. If you have more questions about the meatless lifestyle, learn more! There are a number of great websites that lead you through the details of vegetarianism and give healthy diet tips for anyone curious about the process. If you feel the need to ask questions, just make sure to be polite and respectful!

Photo Credits: 1234, 56