Recipes For Your Inner Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

By now it is common knowledge that a vegetarian diet done properly is much more healthy than a carnivorous diet. According to the Brown University Health Education program, vegetarians have lower rates of heart disease and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine states that vegetarians are 40% less likely to develop cancer compared to meat-eaters. Not to mention, there are many other benefits that come along with the diet like lower blood pressure and a reduced risk of diabetes. As a vegetarian, you are much more likely to watch your diet which often leads to healthier eating habits. While some of us are able to take the plunge into full-blown vegetarianism, others are much more hesitant on giving up their meat. For those who don’t wish to completely change their diet to a vegetarian one, here are some essential foods for each meal to spark that inner vegetarian in you and make your diet that much healthier.

Breakfast:

1. Try out some oatmeal squares. These are a delicious on-the-go breakfast treats that easily go with peanut butter, jelly, honey, or even plain!

2. Quinoa, quinoa, quinoa! Don’t think that quinoa can only be eaten at lunch or dinner. There are plenty of breakfast recipes that include quinoa! Personally, my favorite recipe includes mixing quinoa with crushed almonds, sliced apples, raisins and honey. It makes the perfect sweet and filling breakfast! You can even pair it with an orange and a slice of whole wheat bread to make a power-packed breakfast.

The Mediterranean Breakfast Quinoa is also a great option for breakfast. It’s like oatmeal but even better! Mix quinoa with dried fruit, ground cinnamon, honey, milk – your stomach will thank you!

3. Try making some delicious smoothies! Check out my favorite smoothies below. Smoothies are a great way to help get your daily vegetable and fruit intake, and they are packed with protein so you are ready to start your day.

Sunrise smoothie

Kale, Berry and Acai Power Smoothie

Healthy Coffee Banana Smoothie

4. Another great breakfast idea is to add a twist to traditional oatmeal. I like to mix in peanut butter, brown sugar, hemp powder, honey and a banana into my oats and is my go-to meal for breakfast!

5. If you’re in a rush or simply lazy, try keeping it simple with some toasted whole wheat bread, topped with peanut butter and a chopped banana.

Lunch:

1. Try an egg salad and avocado sandwich! These two ingredients make a power-duo combination for both flavor and energy.

2. Hummus – I try and put hummus on everything I can because the chickpeas are a great source of protein. One of my favorite ways to eat hummus is on a veggie and hummus sandwich. The more vegetables you add on, the better!

3. Looking for a healthy alternative to those potato chips? Try making your own kale chips! I know kale chips don’t sound as enticing, but once you try them you won’t be able to stop! 

Dinner:

1. Stir-Fry – My college go-to dinner is any kind of stir-fry. My favorite mixture is rice, eggs, beans, corn, avocado, peppers and onions all mixed together.

2. Pizza – Try the red onion, potato and goat cheese pizza. I am a huge fan of pizza! Before becoming a vegetarian, my favorite type of pizza was pepperoni. But I decided to try new recipes in order to eliminate any temptations. The combination of the red onion and goat cheese is absolutely mouth watering! If goat cheese or red onions aren’t your thing, try this pesto pizza! It’s also extremely delicious!

3. This vegetarian chili recipe is a perfect protein-packed dinner option and it is extremely easy to make!

4. Try a veggie burger with a side of sweet potato fries! Most grocery stores carry frozen veggie burgers in the frozen aisle, and you can grill or simply microwave the patties! I highly recommend checking out Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burgers, they are so good.

5. When you aren’t getting your fill from Cava, try making your own falafel! It’s a great source of protein and the tzatziki sauce is my favorite.

6. Try different versions of pasta! Pasta Fagioli is perfect for storing in your fridge to pack with you wherever you go. It is delicious and tastes even better the next day!

7. Don’t forget the classic black bean burritos, I promise they taste even better without meat!

Get out there and let the vegetarian inside of you live on! Enjoy these recipes and tweet me, with your favorite vegetarian dishes!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

My name is Meg and I am a PR, marketing and psychology senior at American University. I am an environmentalist, feminist, gym junkie and happiness pursuer and am passionate about community service, social media and coffee.