I Went Vegan For A Month (And Here’s What I Learned!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Whether you consider veganism a fad or a lifestyle, it can’t be denied that this way of living is sweeping the nation. I consider myself an on-again, off-again vegetarian, though I had considered trying my hand at veganism because of the environmental and health benefits. But after watching a revealing Netflix documentary (produced by recent Oscar winner Leonardo Dicaprio!) on the dangers of a meat and dairy-filled diet, I decided that enough was enough, and I needed to fully commit myself to a vegan lifestyle.

When it comes to veganism, there are varying levels of extremism. There’s the strictly diet route (which is the way that I went) which means that I cut out any animal products from my diet, including (but not limited to) fish, red meat, milk, yogurt, butter and cheese. Basically anything that comes from an animal is off-limits. If you choose to go with this diet, you have to be very careful about reading the ingredients on foods in grocery stores and in restaurants, because oftentimes there will be dairy or animal products hidden in between all the dyes and sugars.

The other vegan route would be where you cut out animal products from everything you use. This includes not only what you’re putting into your body, but also what you’re putting on your body. So any makeup, cosmetics, facial creams, body washes, even clothes have to have nothing to do with anything that came from an animal. Say goodbye to your wool sweaters and leather shorts and say hello to hemp clothes. If you choose to go fully vegan, keep in mind that this is a lifestyle change, rather than simply altering your diet. But if you love saving animals and helping the environment, I say go for it! Here are some things you need to know before you start saving the planet.

Supplement your missing proteins.

No matter which of these vegan paths you choose, preparing your body and mind for such a drastic change is insanely important. Since I was already vegetarian, I had already adjusted to getting enough protein to make up for all the meats I wasn’t eating. But if you’re quitting animal products cold turkey (excuse the pun), I’d recommend starting with vitamin supplements and maybe even some protein drinks that don’t include milk. It’s important that you make the transition as easy as possible, because cutting dairy and meat out of your diet is a massive shift in your nutrition and vitamin levels. Before throwing out all your ice cream and sushi, go and pick up some vitamin supplements, like the ones that are listed here. It’s extremely easy to become deficient, and you don’t want to put yourself at any major health risks.

Read the ingredients.

As you start to purchase and select food for your new diet, pay attention to the ingredients. A lot of times there will be a label below the ingredients that says “may contain milk or dairy products” so you don’t have to comb through all of the dyes and preservatives. Keep in mind that you should try to stay away from junk food, and instead stick to natural sweets and salty snacks. Rather than a bag of gummy worms, slice up an apple and dip it in some peanut butter. Put back that bag of chips and instead grab some pretzels or peanuts. Though it’s hard to find good quality organic vegan foods on a college budget, you can’t go wrong with a bag of trail mix or some fresh fruits.

Stay fresh.

In the month that I was eating vegan, I probably consumed more fresh fruit and vegetables than I have in my entire time here at college. If you’re lucky, on-campus dining halls (like Fresh Foods, Burke, and Lakeside Dining here at the University of Alabama) will offer at least one vegetarian option, or at the very least they’ll have some bananas or apples and a salad bar. Fresh fruits and vegetables will become your best friends. I probably had a salad a day and at least two fruits every day in my month of veganism. It’s a healthy habit that I picked up and will continue to do.

Eat snacks!

It’s hard to stay full when you’re eating plants and nuts all day long. I had to up my diet from a quick lunch and a big dinner to three square meals and a few snacks in between. My favorite snacks to have on hand were granola bars (Nature Valley is my favorite) and dried fruit. It worked as a quick pick-me-up to tide me over in class and it helped with my sweets cravings. Peanut butter was my absolute favorite snack when paired with crackers, and even sometimes it was good to eat alone! It kept me full and staved off the chocolate cravings.

Think of the benefits!

Veganism has been proven to be a major combatant of environmental issues such as animal pollution, climate change and deforestation, according to this website. Not to mention it helps with water conservation and cuts down on carbon emissions. The personal benefits are awesome too, as I felt more energized and healthier than I had felt since I came to college. It was easier for me to say no to soft drinks and sugary snacks, and I felt like I had more control over what went into my body. If done right, veganism is healthy and considered by many to be one of the most sustainable diets for our environment.

After completing my 30 days of veganism, I have to admit I ate a months worth of cheese pizza and baked potatoes smothered in sour cream. Though veganism isn’t quite for me, I have decided to stick with my vegetarian diet but with two days a week where I eat vegan. The environmental benefits just can’t be denied, and I feel great eating veggies and fruits. Stay healthy, collegiettes!

Sarah is from Indianapolis, Indiana and is currently studying Telecommunications and Film at the University of Alabama. Along with her broadcasting major, she is also working towards a creative writing minor. She enjoys writing to her friends back home, caring for her hamster named Pasta, dancing around to Ellie Goulding and cultivating her cacti garden! In her spare time, Sarah can be found in the library with her head in a book or on the quad petting dogs.
Alabama Contributor