This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

How To Fly The Nest

A Fresher’s Guide to Settling into Uni!

Congratulations, high-five, fist bump…you’ve done it! You’ve moved out, you’ve made the leap of faith and you’ve survived two weeks on your own at University. Your room might be a tip, you may have only dined on Super Noodles and you may still have that lingering hangover from Fresher’s week but you’ve made it alone for at least a fortnight. Snaps for you Fresher, snaps for you. Moving to University can be an incredibly daunting prospect and there are many little things that Mum and Dad aren’t there to take care of any longer. So here we are at HC Aberdeen to give you a few tips on how to really settle into student life for the next few years.

Life tip #1: Keep the hunger pangs at bay

Not going to lie, here at Her Campus we love our food so I think keeping your tummies full is a good place to start. So far I’m guessing your first week was pretty kushty. Your cupboards and fridges stocked full after your parents bought you an unlimited shop on move-in weekend. However, now the cupboards are lying empty with only a packet of dry spaghetti and a couple of tins left, what a sorry sight. So then you decide to make your first arm-breaking venture down to Lidl’s. Situated at the bottom of Hillhead is a bargain hunters dream… or a lucky dip of European delicacies. Only then do you realise that living at home was pretty sweet as you casually load up your trolley with essentials (chocolate, pizzas and vodka) whilst totting up the total in your head. A groan ensues as you encounter the first world problem of ‘Do I buy a month’s worth of pizza or save money to go out?’ As a fresher, the latter option is ALWAYS the answer! But fear not Fresher, you can feed yourself like a queen, all that is required is a small dose of domestic goddess. Get yourself a handy student cookbook (or keeps your eyes on HC for an article on Freshers food for thought) and actually try your hand at cooking some simple meals. They’re surprisingly easy and you will become renowned in your halls for being that gal who can cook gourmet meals. People will be knocking on your door in no time. Plus what’s it they say about brain food?

Life tip #2: Seek out those girls whore going to be your best friends

If you are one of the lucky ones, you’ll have already have found your bosom buddies, your bebo other halves or your ‘baes’ (to use that new fangled phrase). However, some of you may have encountered a flat full of people who couldn’t be more different to you if they tried. This may have left you feeling understandably homesick for the comfort of your lovely friends. Well, if you haven’t already sought out friends drunkenly in Institute’s ladies loos well I have a fantastic little idea for you. Here goes my wee bit of PR. Since you are reading this article here on Her Campus Aberdeen, it’s probably right up your street. So why don’t you come and join our society? We’re a like-minded set of bubbly girls who like nothing more than a cup of tea, a gossip and the occasional wild night out with dancing and tequila – I emphasise the occasional, we’re sophisticated ladies now – well ish! Joining a society is the best way to make friends outside of your hall mates so I’d encourage you all to go and join one of those many societies that you signed up for at the Fresher’s Fayre. You never know what might come of it! It’s the easiest way to have a ready-made group of friends. With a few nice friends here to lean on, it makes University life a whole lot easier and not to mention fun!

Life tip #3: Make yourself at home

Another way to settle in to life here at University is to make your room your own. Those limp tasteless curtains and stained carpet have many stories to tell after withstanding years of rowdy Freshers’ (just don’t think about it too much) but you can still make your room look pretty snazzy. All you need to do to detract from them is some cheap home accessories. Oh and plaster your walls with photos. Here we go, another bit of PR, we have a handy article on how to decorate your bedroom on the cheap this month here on HC Aberdeen so head on over there to read more about that. I definitely think just a few bits and pieces of your own definitely make you feel more at home and settle into your halls.

Life tip #4: Get your head in those expensive books on your reading list

I promise I’m not trying to be a fun sucker but let’s be honest, in this exciting new world called freedom and University, the classes are probably the last thing on your mind. However, take it from me, just put in that little bit of work and it’ll all be worth it. Yep, I’m that girl who wished I’d had that advice and then I might not have failed those two exams and had to resit them when my friends were all off travelling in summer. Believe me, those were not good times. Trying to adjust to the different way that classes are taught here at University is pretty difficult. You’re also just learning to manage living on your own, living in a new city, making friends and the fact that there is such a thing as no bedtimes. Studying like this will take a little bit of getting used to but set your mind to it and it should come fairly easily. However don’t get bogged down and make sure you’re still spending time with your new friends even if that is snuggled up in those teeny single beds watching the entire box set of Sex and the City with a mountain of popcorn. You are still first year after all.

All in all, moving away to University is one of the best things that I ever did and also one of the hardest. The first couple of weeks were a struggle as I got used to my surroundings. There were a few students who fell by the wayside and threw the towel in early in favour of returning home to Mum and Dad’s welcoming arms. But like they say, what’s worth having doesn’t come easy. Even if you are a little homesick or not sure that University is for you, stick it out at least for a few more weeks and you’ll be surprised how everything starts to fall into place.

Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.
Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.