Perhaps one of the most glamorous nights of the year, every collegiette wants to look fab on NYE, whether or not a midnight kiss is in store!
Once you’ve perfected your smokey eye look and applied your fave lip gloss, try out one of these hair ideas to put the finishing touch on your ensemble.
Give your standard ponytail a little extra oomph for the holiday with lots of volume!
1. Tease the front section of your hair to create a pouf, and then pull it up and to the top of your head, using bobby pins to place it.
2. Pull the sides of your hair into a pony, roughing up your texture by rubbing your hands through the ends. You can also curl the ends with your favorite curling wand.
3. Finishing with a lightweight hairspray such as the Touchable Finish Hairspray ($2.50) from Suave.
Go for a more elegant look with old-Hollywood inspired curls this NYE!
1. Start by applying mousse to your damp hair, such as Dove’s Style + Care Nourishing Amplifier Mousse ($4) for extra texture.
2. Blow dry your hair and create a deep side part on the side of your choice.
3. Split each side of your hair into two sections, a top and a bottom, and curl a 1 to 2 inch piece of hair with a 1-inch curling iron.
4. Once you’ve finishing curling each piece, pin each up with a pin curl clip or bobby pins.
5. When you’re doing curling all of the sections, spray your hair with an extra-hold hairspray such as TRESemme’s Two Extra Hold Hair Spray ($5) to make sure the curls don’t budge, and let your curls stay in place for five minutes before releasing the pins.
6. Finish by brushing out your hair gently with a bristle brush, and spritzing with a shine spray like TRESemme’s Smooth No Frizz Ultra Light Shine Spray ($4).
A cute braid is always in style! The fishtail braid is trendy and super easy to do yourself. It can bring a little edge to a simple outfit, since it’s a fancier style than just leaving your hair down.
1. Part your hair into two even sections.
2. Take a small strand of your hair from one of the sections, and bring it over to the other side. Make sure your sections are large enough to work with, but still small enough to make sure your style doesn’t look too much like a regular braid.
3. Repeat this process with the other section.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until your braid is complete!
For a simple style to go with a more extravagant outfit, such as a glittery dress, try a polished top knot to help you look classy and fabulous. If you want, you can add a sparkly barrette or hair clip for some extra pizzaz, such as this one from Ulta ($9).
1. Gather your hair into a high ponytail.
2. Twist your hair around your hand and the base of the ponytail.
3. Pull the ends of your hair through the elastic, and this will create the knot.
4. Spray with the hairspray of your choice to finish and use bobby pins as needed.
Sleek and Straight Strands
Sometimes, simple is better, and like the top knot this style looks great when paired with a more embellished outfit. Straightened strands will always look timeless and lovely, and you can always add a crystal headband ($9) for extra flair if you desire.
1. Apply TRESemme’s Keratin Infusing Smoothing Serum ($6) to dry or damp strands to nix frizz and protect hair from heat styling.
2. Blow-dry your hair if needed, pointing the nozzle down your strands and finishing with a blast of cool air to seal the hair cuticle.
3. Use a keratin-infused straightener, such as the Remington Keratin Therapy 1-inch flat iron ($40), to straighten your hair section by section, using a hair clip to separate parts of your hair.
4. Finish with a shine spray, such as Not Your Mother’s Rise and Shine Spray ($6).
Whichever hairstyle you choose to rock this New Year’s Eve, we’re sure you’ll look dazzling and ready to bring in 2015 with style! Happy New Year, collegiettes!