This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Have you ever been so bored that you look on the app store for new apps to mess around with? Well if your answer is yes this is the article for you. Even if you don’t do this, some of these apps that I have found can benefit you even when you’re not on your phone. Here are some apps that I have found this month that I absolutely love.

Charity Miles

If you are in the Honors College or have to get volunteer hours for any reason, Charity Miles is a perfect way that you can do this remotely. When you sign up for the app, you start by choosing a charity that you would like to represent, and the app will donate money from the corporate sponsorship pool to the charity depending on how many miles you have walked or ran.  By using a sensor in your phone, charity miles tracks the number of miles that you walk automatically, or you can manually track it with options on the app. Apple watches are also compatible if you don’t want to take your phone with you on a run. Just talk to your organization about how many miles counts as an hour of volunteer service and if this is a valid option for you. I like this because it is a great motivator to be active, and also helps others at the same time! Plus it is a remote option during the pandemic. For more information check out https://charitymiles.org/how-it-works/#.

Water Llama

This one I found by accident, but I am so happy that I did. I am a big coffee drinker, and almost never drink any water which, I know, is terrible. One day while feeling dehydrated I decided that I was going to make an effort to drink more water. Now I’m the type of person that needs to be motivated and to have reminders so that I stay on track. With this in mind, I went to the app store and found Water Llama. Water Llama tracks your water intake when you enter how many ounces of water you drink throughout the day. As you add more water, there is an actual Llama that you have to fill up to reach your goal. This may sound silly, or even a little childish, but trust me it’s a creative way to keep you motivated. This app is free, but there is also a paid version. With the free version, you get only the drink choice of water and the Llama. With the paid version, you get many drink choices such as coffee, lattes, juice, milk, tea, and a bunch more. Each drink contains a certain percentage of water that counts towards your overall goal. Also in the paid version are more animals that you can “fill up”, three challenges that you can try such as drinking only water, a water goal calculated specifically for you, and reminders that you can set the time and duration for. If you don’t need an app or reminders to let you know when to drink water, then you are one step ahead of the game, but if you do then this app is perfect.

Among Us

If you have a TikTok and haven’t heard of this game yet, then I am shocked. Like I mentioned, I first saw this game on TikTok and I just had to try it. I have the habit of getting games on my phone, playing them for three days, getting bored, and then never playing them again. I think I’ve had this game for a month and I’m still playing. Basically, there are astronauts on a spaceship and they are trying to fix their ship, but there is an alien on board trying to sabotage everything. This alien is called the imposter, and the whole game is centered around trying to figure out who the imposter is. Each game can hold up to 10 people and there can be one, two, or three imposters in one game. If you are an astronaut or a “crewmate”, then your job is to do tasks around the ship to get it working. If you are an imposter, your job is to sabotage the ship, and yes, kill the crewmates. Every time a body is found, it is reported and everyone is brought into a chat to decide who the imposter is. If you think you know who it is, you vote for that person and they will be voted out. If you do not vote out the imposter, the game continues until the imposter is voted out, all the crewmates get their tasks done (which rarely happens), the imposter wins by sabotage or the number of crewmates and the number of imposters are equal, in which the imposters win. There is so much more to this game that I can talk about, but I think I’ll let you find out for yourself.

IPSY

IPSY is something I’m new to, but I am so excited to have found it. What it is, is a beauty product subscription. Every month you get a cute little makeup bag with beauty products inside from all of the brands that you love. With IPSY there are three different bags that you can choose from, the $12 Glam bag, the $25 Glam Bag Plus, or the $50 Glam Bag Ultimate. Obviously, since the price goes up, the value does as well. I got the $12 bag that comes with a small makeup bag and 5 sample products. The $25 bag comes with a larger makeup bag and 5 full-sized beauty products. The $50 bag comes with an even larger bag and 12 beauty products. The best part is, that you take a quiz before you get your bag so that you can get the items that you want most, and if you find you’re getting too much of a certain product, then you can always go back to that quiz and change your answers! The bags include makeup products, nail products, hair products, and skin products. And if you ever decide you want to take a break from IPSY then you can pause your subscription without canceling it, so that way your points and customizations will stay saved. Along with this, members get discounts on other products, can earn points to get free gifts, and they are always doing giveaways on social media! All I’m saying is that you can get some amazing deals with IPSY instead of spending a fortune at a makeup store.

Quizlet

Quizlet is honestly my lifesaver when it comes to studying. I’ve had this app for a lot more than a month but I had to include it. I found out that Quizlet works the best for me because this is how one of my friends likes to study so I thought I’d give it a try and I’ve stuck with it ever since. I take my notes and make as many questions out of them as I can, and I end up with about 80 or more questions each chapter. My favorite part about the Quizlet app is the flashcards. There is a feature on the app flashcards that lets you swipe right if you know the answer and swipe left if you need to keep studying it. This is a really great feature for memorization and studying thoroughly. Quizlet has many other ways of studying as well and allows you to create classes and folders to organize how you study. 10/10 highly recommend if you haven’t found a studying technique that works for you.

Chloe Simmerman

Youngstown '23

I am a Junior at Youngstown State University Majoring in Nursing. I am the Senior Editor for my chapter.